Low impedance headphones on Schiit Valhalla 2?
Jul 19, 2014 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cyberridz

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tested low impedance headphones, e.g. Grado SR80i or Hifiman HE-400, on a Schiit Valhalla 2? I really want to get a Valhalla 2 but still torn between that and an Asgard 2, as the Asgard 2 has better measurements for low impedance headphones? Anyone using the Valhalla 2 as their primary driver for low impedance headphones or can anyone comment on the differences in low impedance headphone performance between the two? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I own both, Asgard2 and Valhalla2. Music coming from my MBP-Optical-Bifrost Uber make my PS500E sing, both Amps work great in this context, the Tubes sound more liquid, more musical, but the Asgard2 is just as good, and I guess that personal preference is the key factor in what you like better... I use the preamp out to drive a Pair of Audioengine A5+ and A8, and the Valhalla just adds a dimension to the sound that I never thought possible at this price point. Great stuff!  The Asgard is no slouch either, both amps are great. The stock tubes on the Valhalla are a great match as well, I don't see an immediate need to roll. My RS1i did great with both, even my ultra low impedance Shure 846 do well with the Valhalla, strange as this might seem....The Valhalla is my primary driver now, and it is addictingly good.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 18
  Has anyone tested low impedance headphones, e.g. Grado SR80i or Hifiman HE-400, on a Schiit Valhalla 2? I really want to get a Valhalla 2 but still torn between that and an Asgard 2, as the Asgard 2 has better measurements for low impedance headphones? Anyone using the Valhalla 2 as their primary driver for low impedance headphones or can anyone comment on the differences in low impedance headphone performance between the two? Thanks.

The Schiit Valhalla 2 set to low gain has an output impedance of 3.5-Ohms, which should be fine for your 32-Ohm Grado SR-80i or 35-Ohm HE-400s.
I would guess(?), even with the Valhalla 2 set at high gain of 14-Ohms, the HE-400s would still sound good, I believe(?) the HE-400 are not as sensitive to impedance issues as some other "normal" headphones.
Maybe email Schiit and see what they have to say.

But not sure what to say for Valhalla 2 verses Asgard 2.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 18
The Schiit Valhalla 2 set to low gain has an output impedance of 3.5-Ohms, which should be fine for your 32-Ohm Grado SR-80i or 35-Ohm HE-400s.
I would guess(?), even with the Valhalla 2 set at high gain of 14-Ohms, the HE-400s would still sound good, I believe(?) the HE-400 are not as sensitive to impedance issues as some other "normal" headphones.
Maybe email Schiit and see what they have to say.

+1

The HE-400 have a fairly flat impedance response. So definitely not as much to worry about with them as with other 32 ohm headphones.

If you want something that will drive the crap out of the HE-400s, get the Audio-GD NFB-11. 3500mw into 25 ohms/1800mw into 50 ohm. Compare that to the 180mw into 50 ohms of the Valhalla 2--yes, it's an order of magnitude less. 180mw into 50 ohms seems pretty meh if you ask me for driving insensitive 32 ohm headphones. My FiiO E12 has more power than that. Asgard 2 would be much better than the Valhalla in that regard.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 18
If you want something that will drive the crap out of the HE-400s, get the Audio-GD NFB-11. 3500mw into 25 ohms/1800mw into 50 ohm.

YEA, NFB-11

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 18

I currently use the Valhalla 2 with Audeze LCD-2 and Grado 225e headphones. I also posted a review earlier today on the Head-Fi Valhalla 2 product page. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have regarding the combinations.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 18
I currently use the Valhalla 2 with Audeze LCD-2 and Grado 225e headphones. I also posted a review earlier today on the Head-Fi Valhalla 2 product page. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have regarding the combinations.

How is the performance of the LCD-2/Grado 225e's on them? Can they drive them loud?

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 18

How is the performance of the LCD-2/Grado 225e's on them? Can they drive them loud?

Yes, I feel that the Valhalla 2 has the ability to drive both of them to ear blasting levels.  Set to low gain, I find that anything over 2 is to loud for me with the Audeze LCD-2 and that anything over 12 is to loud for me with the Grado SR225e.  I also find that the stepping of the volume knob is very good for both of these headphones.  I hope this helps!

Note: The numerical reference is to hands on an analog clock.

Additionally, I recommend listening to the Vestiges & Claws album by Jose Gonzalez.  This album in my opinion highlights the very magical pairing combination of the LCD-2 and Valhalla 2.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Hifi Enthusiast - I saw your review, and noticed you tested the K702 as well as those you mention above.  Did you find the Valhalla 2 to be a bad match for the AKGs?  Looks like you were unimpressed with the combo.  I am curious and interested in more information on that particular pairing.  Please share what you can about why you felt unmoved - though it sounds like the details were there.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 18
TinearedOne - Sorry for the delayed response to your question.  I found after my review of the Valhalla 2 that my experience with the AKG K702 wasn't limited to the Valhalla 2.  I am currently using the Burson Soloist and find the same attributes of the AKG K702 to be there. It is leaner than that of other headphones, specifically the Audeze LCD-2. Overall, I think the headphone has great resolution, good separation, and surprisingly good depth. This stands true with both the Burson Soloist and Shiit Valhalla 2 amplifiers.  However, I still feel like it is missing something that both the Audeze LCD-1 and Grado SR225e provide for me.  I summed this up as involvement and emotion in my review of the Valhalla 2, I would take that further and call it the meat and potatoes of what I enjoy in a headphone.  I feel like it is light in the low and mid range and doesn't provide the same balance to the music like the other headphones are capable of.  Where I still own the AKG K702, it just isn't my cup of tea for a long listen.  The Valhalla 2 is a very capable and enjoyable headphone amplifier, I listened to it for several months, Monday-Friday for hours on end.  I think the Burson Soloist provides me with a little more oomph in delivery. The Burson Soloist has replaced the Schiit Valhalla 2 in my daily listening setup.  I am extremely taken by the performance and listening experience that I get with the Audeze LCD-2 and Burson Soloist combination.  With that being said, the Audeze LCD-2 and Burson Soloist are also double if not triple the price of the AKG K702 and Schiit Valhalla 2.  At the end of the day these are all great products to propel the listen into something special.  The decision will be up to the buyer on what they want for their money and how much are willing to spend for it.  I have personally hit my price bottleneck for right now and plan to sit back and just enjoying the music.  I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

P.S. I still own the Schiit Valhalla 2.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 18
If you had a choice to run Grados on, purely for sound enjoyment, which would you choose - the Asgard 2 or the Valhalla 2?

Hi there, i have the same question, valhalla 2 will work good with Grado Gh2? @cyberridz wich one you choosed? :)

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 18
Hi there, i have the same question, valhalla 2 will work good with Grado Gh2? @cyberridz wich one you choosed? :)

Grados need a much higher output impedance to really have a problem (and even then it could boost the low end; it's only speaker amps' headphone outputs that have a higher risk of making them sound like tin cans vs OTL amps), not to mention their sensitivity is very high so the lower output of OTL amps at low impedance isn't as much of a problem.

That said, if you don't have any high impedance headphones for reference listening, why get OTL? I'd decide more really on what other headphones you have or looking to buy later.

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 18
Grados need a much higher output impedance to really have a problem (and even then it could boost the low end; it's only speaker amps' headphone outputs that have a higher risk of making them sound like tin cans vs OTL amps), not to mention their sensitivity is very high so the lower output of OTL amps at low impedance isn't as much of a problem.

That said, if you don't have any high impedance headphones for reference listening, why get OTL? I'd decide more really on what other headphones you have or looking to buy later.

Hi @ProtegeManiac , thanks for the reply.

Right now i dont have much, just this Grado Gh2, and a old Marshall Major 2 and Sennheiser 449 but no longer use that ones.
In the future i dont know what i will buy, cause i didnt tryed yet all the models of the following list. But for sure it will be 1 closed and 1 open (in this order)

- Audeze Lcd 2, Lcd X, and EL 8
- Fostex Th 900
- Beyerdynamic Dt 1990 Pro, Amiron
- Hifiman Sundara
- Akg K712
- Meze 99 Classic

But right now, what im looking for is the best Amp / Dac for my Grado Gh2 in a 1000 / 1200 £ price range. My first idea was the Quad Va one / Pa one, cause i liked the tube sound on it.
Then after some research looks the bifrost mb is the right choise for dac, so now i just need find the correct amp.
A lot of people told me that the valhalla 2 wouldnt be perfect for grados, but at same time some said they sound wonderfull together.

Any help or diferent recomendations would be apreciated :)

thanks a lot

Pedro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back