Low hum in Fiio FH5 created by speaker amp
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #16 of 18
A jumper ground wire to your PC is not going to cause any more potential danger from a lightning strike than the wall connection the PC already has. No house ground is going to make PCs or TVs totally secure from an actual lightning strike. If a jumper wire from your audio setup to your PC works to remove the hum, thank your lucky stars and move on. :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 18
I see. How likely am I to actually fry my computer by connecting it to a screw from my case though?

Metals are conductive. Your motherboard is on brass standoffs. There's another screw holding the graphics card to the slot on the case.

Normal grounding wouldn't hurt it but if there actually is a surge, there's a potential problem. If the PC is not connected to a surge protector then the same surge will fry it even if it isn't being used as a ground. If the surge protectors fail anyway then it will jsut fry it also. However if it's on a surge protector but the stuff grounded to it are not or still goes through there then it goes down to the PC.

Statistically it's nearly impossible but really what's the problem with just running the cable to the window bar and see if it deals with the hum instead just for that extra peace of mind.

What you're suggesting will cost me more than the speaker amp I want to buy, so right now it's pretty much a no-go.

I'd just run a cable to the window bar and see if that works. If it doesn't then wire it back to the PC chassis since by that point you really have no other option but a relatively expensive option that isn't guaranteed to work and a statistically low chance of everything getting fried in case a strong enough surge goes through.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 18
Metals are conductive. Your motherboard is on brass standoffs. There's another screw holding the graphics card to the slot on the case.

Normal grounding wouldn't hurt it but if there actually is a surge, there's a potential problem. If the PC is not connected to a surge protector then the same surge will fry it even if it isn't being used as a ground. If the surge protectors fail anyway then it will jsut fry it also. However if it's on a surge protector but the stuff grounded to it are not or still goes through there then it goes down to the PC.

Statistically it's nearly impossible but really what's the problem with just running the cable to the window bar and see if it deals with the hum instead just for that extra peace of mind.

I'd just run a cable to the window bar and see if that works. If it doesn't then wire it back to the PC chassis since by that point you really have no other option but a relatively expensive option that isn't guaranteed to work and a statistically low chance of everything getting fried in case a strong enough surge goes through.
Sure, I'll try that and see what I'll do afterwards.
Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back