Low End Customs vs High End Universals
Aug 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
I am interested in hearing various headfi members thoughts on this topic. If you had to choose between the top of the line universal IEMs or the low end customs, what would be your choice?

For me, I was specifically debating the Westone UM3X ($325) vs the Jerry Harvey JH5 ($399), but any input whatsoever would still be appreciated. What do all of you think?

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 15
Well, I got a LONG ways to go until I reach that type of price-level, but common sense tells me to go for high-end universals.
Low-end customs will leave you wanting MORE, and have virtually 0 resale value(unless you do what some ppl do nowadays, which is keeping the shell and keeping the earphone).

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm having the same dilemma as you, I'm thinking of getting IE8/TF10Pro/JH5Pro.
I think even if I purchased either the IE8 or TF10Pro I'd still be wondering what a custom IEM would be like.

I'm just waiting to read some reviews of the JH5 and I'm about 80% sure that I will be buying a pair this year.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 15
Good Advice. You'll want to resell your universals to get the customs (unless you're filthy rich) later on. However, I'm probably going to keep my SE530 since they're great for trips (instances where I don't want to lose my future JH13s)

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 15
I have the Sleek Audio CT6 as my cheapest custom and prefer it vastly to any of the following: UM3X, SM2, SE530, IE8. It is also about the same price as them. From a construction perspective is where it loses to the SM2 and the UM3x, but is better (stronger) than the ie8 and se530 by a fair margin.

Sound is an unfair advantage toward the Sleek. Unfair - very unfair. Balance, detail, bone conduction - no comparison. I would imagine that the JH are the same if not better

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 15
A high end universal should beat out a low end custom, but as shizgeo said, it is difficult to make a fair comparison.

In my mind, a person should only get customs if they get the absolute best; otherwise they aren't getting the best bang for their buck.

Yeah, it's fun telling people you have custom earbuds - that's how hardcore you are - but as an audiophile the sound quality vs wallet capacity is the real issue. It makes more sense to get the universals and put the rest towards CD's or another component. If you're patient enough, it makes the most sense to just save for the best customs available, as long as you're confident that nothing better will be released for a while.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a demo unit will show the sound signature, but not the actual sound of a full custom shell. there is no way to compare the two other than pure output.

i was trying to say JH5pro will outclass um3x w/ um56 in a full custom shell.

IMO, custom demo is about at least 50% of the full product. maybe not the case of JH13.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm in a similar pickle, though i've talked myself into low end customs based on how many people have voiced their preference of livewires, over others.

i have read in multiple occasions where livewires were in direct competition with things like westone 3s, livewires being $250 + impressions.

only now, i'm facing the whole issue of "which custom"

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 15
I just bought Fidelity Customs (same as livewires, but from the former TN office) and am very pleased.

I am still thinking that maybe I should have purchased the JH5 instead, but I look at Livewires/Fidelity Customs as the gateway drug into customs anyway. They are very nice, and I see myself using them for 1-3 years until I then plan on going for whatever the highest end offering JH Audio has at that point. If you buy universals, you are going to want customs at some point IMO. Buy a good low end custom like Fidelity or Livewires or JH5s and plan on a 1-3 year step to JH13s or whatever else is at the top of the heap at that point.

For $260 + $10 local impressions and $10 to ship the impressions I think you would be making a good choice with Livewires, but I also don't think you would be unhappy with the $399 for JH5s. Customs either way would be a good decision if you are thinking about them though.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 15
You know, I actually forgot to consider the livewires, aka Fidelity Customs, when looking at the more affordable customs. Has anyone here tried both the livewires and a high end universal to compare the sound quality? If they too manage to beat the UM3X, I may just go with the livewires as the price really is very good for customs.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I actually forgot to consider the livewires, aka Fidelity Customs, when looking at the more affordable customs. Has anyone here tried both the livewires and a high end universal to compare the sound quality? If they too manage to beat the UM3X, I may just go with the livewires as the price really is very good for customs.

I can tell you that I have tried the UE Triple Fi 10 and would take the Fidelity customs anyday over the triple fi.

The triple fi seemed to have clear highs (though with a little too much artificial sheen IMO) and great lows, but the mids seemed way too recessed for me. Also, I only played with them for an hour or so but found them extremely uncomfortable for me, and thought they stuck out of my ears too far.

I am much happier with the Fidelitys, but I haven't tried the UM3X, just the Triple Fi and Shure SCL3.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A high end universal should beat out a low end custom, but as shizgeo said, it is difficult to make a fair comparison.

In my mind, a person should only get customs if they get the absolute best; otherwise they aren't getting the best bang for their buck.

Bumping this thread because I would be interested in further discussion on these specific thoughts

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back