Low end custom IEMs?
Jun 14, 2009 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KONAKONA

Banned
Alright I made a post in the livewires thread but I didn't get any responses so,

How do things shape up in the lower end of custom IEMs? Like the 200-300$ range? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that fit here are the livewires. Anything else? Also, how to these shape up with full size cans SQ wise?

Oh, sorry about all of the puns.
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hearyourself.com sells low-end customs

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single drivers at hearyourself.com are only $150.00 irc.

Anyone happen to own these? Reviews anywhere on head-fi of them?

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 10
NineOhToo tried the AE1's (AE having fixed cord, C series detachable), and didn't care for them all that much. He ended up later purchasing some C2's, and told me he ultimately wished he had gone all the way with the C3 triple driver model. He likened the AE1 to Ety ER6i; pretty good detail but not full enough all around. He said his C2's improved things but he still wished for more bottom end.

I'm told that C3's are excellent, but that might be getting out of your price range. If a fixed cord is fine, the AE3 is $335, so that's something to look into.

Then there are the Livewires, $250 for duals and $350 for Triples.

The only other option in that price range is having UniqueMelody reshell some of your existing IEMs. They quoted me a very reasonable price (roughly $250) to turn a UE SF3 into a triple driver custom like UE10.

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 10
I am surprised that so few people know of the CT6 by Sleek Audio, a great sponsor of these forums. The CT6 is actually only between 300-400 dollars and is reviewed by some who own both, to be preferable to the UE11. Of course, that is personal preferences speaking, but there are many many companies who make customs in that price category.

from all over the world, musicians turn to custom manufacturers. there is simply no comparison to a well-made (not meaning expensive) custom to a well-made universal. the bone conduction possible in a custom is simply stunning.

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NineOhToo tried the AE1's (AE having fixed cord, C series detachable), and didn't care for them all that much. He ended up later purchasing some C2's, and told me he ultimately wished he had gone all the way with the C3 triple driver model. He likened the AE1 to Ety ER6i; pretty good detail but not full enough all around. He said his C2's improved things but he still wished for more bottom end.

I'm told that C3's are excellent, but that might be getting out of your price range. If a fixed cord is fine, the AE3 is $335, so that's something to look into.

Then there are the Livewires, $250 for duals and $350 for Triples.

The only other option in that price range is having UniqueMelody reshell some of your existing IEMs. They quoted me a very reasonable price (roughly $250) to turn a UE SF3 into a triple driver custom like UE10.

Shame I don't have any IEMs right now eh?

I was planning on getting some HD 25s since the only closed cans I had didn't isolate for snot (And don't sound that good anymore IMO), but I read that people liked the livewires and last I checked custom IEMs were expensive (Or at least more expensive then they are).

So how do the A3s (Or C3s I guess) And the dual/triple driver livewires (Or whatever they are called nowdays) compare to full size headphones? Any models that they are close to in sound signature/quality?

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone happen to own these? Reviews anywhere on head-fi of them?

There is an appreciation thread over 80 pages long so there are a lot of talking on which colors and art people are ordering but scattered throughout are reviews from people as their orders came in.... just search "hearyourself.com" and it should be the first one to pop up

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an appreciation thread over 80 pages long so there are a lot of talking on which colors and art people are ordering but scattered throughout are reviews from people as their orders came in.... just search "hearyourself.com" and it should be the first one to pop up

Well that certainly was a long read. I think I made it about half way though the livewires thread as well...

Anyway it looks like no one on the face of the earth has hard both the livewires and the A3/C3s, but I heard a few comments about the x3s having slightly recessed mids, so between that and the price difference I'll probably be looking into some livewires.

Feel free to add more comments though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back