Low-cost, easy ALPS stepped attenuator
Mar 6, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #46 of 70
That does suck cause they are nice when you have the space for them.

Maybe someone can zerox one of the boards and create a template so we can etch our "little boards"?

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

Maybe someone can zerox one of the boards and create a template so we can etch our "little boards"?

PLEASE DO!!!

For the love of God, the lab I am going to school at has all the stuff you need to make toner transfer boards!!
biggrin.gif

SOMEONE around here has to have one of those boards unused or in a state where they could xerox it. I mean heck, we could even make up a BETTER board and do a group buy.

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

I could scan mine since I haven't finished them... lol, ok I didn't even start. I haven't gotten to ordering resistors yet, let alone figuring out which ones I need.

-Ed

Mar 6, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #52 of 70
I'd be happy to draw and redraw etching templates in Illustrator, which we can feverishly debate the layout for until we're happy. Though their suggestion to solder directly to the lugs is reasonable, various attenuators are made this way.

Someone would need to measure the pin spacing.

Mar 6, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #53 of 70
I had considered just soldering to the lugs as they suggested, especially since this would shorten the lead paths. Of the people that have the switch, does this look like it would be possible/practical?

EDIT: Also if we wanted we could make the boards up in Eagle and have them sent off and printed commercially. They are small enough that they could be cheap, and the quality would be considerably better.

Mar 6, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #54 of 70
It would be a Major PITA to build one one without the boards.
It wouldn't be so bad if the fiber board sections (or decks if you will) were not so big but they are right right in the way if you want to jumper across the solder rings.
frown.gif

Pin spacing is:
.203" for the bottom board (7 pins)
.093" on the top board (17 pins)
Spacing between the decks is .640" .859" .640"
I should note that pin spacing on the boards I have is all over the place so the accuracy of those measurements is marginal at best.
It would be a very good idea if someone rechecked the measurements.
wink.gif

A small (75k) picture of the "old" boards is here

I sent Ned @ triode an Email and asked for his input and also inquired about the history of the little boards....I think it is a good idea to make sure we can progress with this idea without stepping on someones toes (a simple board layout for personal use is one thing but a batch of "professionally manufactured boards" puts the whole idea in another category).
I will let you know what he has to say... unless of course he pops in and adds his 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Next question that comes to mind is what you like to "fix" on the old boards?

I think they need a jumper so the two grounds can be tied together and the hole size for the resistors and the pins on the switches could be a little bigger.
Through hole plating is also a good idea but that is a luxury I can live without if I have to.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #56 of 70
Ned said:
Quote:

Feel free to copy the existing boards.

He also indicated that they have about 100 of the switches left and because they are clearance items they cannot guarantee future availability.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #57 of 70
If the boards cost too much to have made, then it will make this "bargain" stepped attenuator not so much anymore. Considering that resistors are extra (and unless you are building several, you are buying more than you need to match them) also, it really erodes the cost savings.

Hopefully that DACT group buy works out, it really does suck (funny though) that this Alps is so friggin huge.

-Ed

Mar 7, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #58 of 70
Well I decided to just buy one in the hopes that we can work something out.
rolleyes.gif

For me, personally, I have everything i need to etch my own boards so if you wanna make up the templates, Syzygies, I would be in full favor of that. However, if there IS enough interest I would happily throw in a few dollars to get printed circuit boards.

Who WOULD be interested in printing boards?

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

A small (75k) picture of the "old" boards is here

Just go up a few posts
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back