Low cost amp for D2000/HD600?
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PhoxHound

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering the D2000 for my next purchase (which may or may not be a long way off, depending on how much work I get and how much I get paid for tutoring), and although I have a great receiver, it's just that: a great receiver. Its headphone out is good, but my understanding is that even a portable headphone amp could do a lot better. And that's good, because I definitely don't have the cash on hand to buy a big expensive one. I don't know jack about amps, what they sound like, which ones are what, anything at all. I'm in the dark. I like the following kinds of music:

Techno
Hard techno
Industrial
Alternative
Classical

I'd like to keep the total cost (phones + amp) under 500 dollars if possible. As far as sound signatures I like neutral but leaning on warm. Of those genres of music I prefer hard techno usually (that includes Drum and Bass), so bass is important.

Edit: just saw the Little Dot I+ Hybrid which looks nice for around $150 shipped. Also, is the Zero DAC a good choice since I likely could afford it and a cheap amp if I bought the D2000?

Edit again: As far as the HD600 goes I understand they can be tough to drive. Would I need to spend more on an amp?

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I have only tried the D2000 with the GS Voyager however just for a brief moment.
The bass was plentiful with pretty good impact. I could not remember the detailing and soundstage.... But overall it was good.
My test tracks were Apologize by One Republic and Accidd by Jem, both tracks have a decent amount of bass. Guess from the genres you have listed, bass kinda high up on the list and I believe that the D2000 will not disappoint you in that aspect.

Hope this helps and yea I know my recommendation is more than $200 but its the only one I tested, brief as it may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back