Low budget problem - need Amp&DAC
Dec 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Hello again fellow Head-fi'ers.

I have run into problem! I have spent waaay too much money these past months.
tongue_smile.gif

I have the K701 as my main listening can and the Phonak PFE for on the go listening. My problem is that i need super cheap amp and DAC that can drive the k701 effeciently.
Any amp+DAC goes as long as they can drive the k701 (and is extremly cheap!!) - any suggestions.

I live in the EU and my source is my MacBook
regular_smile .gif

Please keep in mind that I plan to get the Heed CanAmp or Gilmore Lite but I'm simply out of budget for now. I just need something in the mean time, cus the k701 really isn't worth it without an amp, but please don't recommend the Heed or M³ amp or other high end products. Cus i know that, don't kick me while I'm down
beerchug.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 18
from what i've read... there are no cheap amps that will drive/sound good with the 701/702. i might be totally wrong here but from what i have read, buying the 701/702 means you will need to spend another at least 200+ on an amp

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 18
and that's just an amp.. for an amp/dac combo, idk but probably would cost even more seeing as how you would want the dac feature too.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 18
The bravo is a fun gadget nothing more.
For a cheap dac/amp you can try the ef2 but it doesnt seem to be very good with the akgs.
Your only option would be to buy a diy and used from the FS forums.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 18
I have not heard this the Firestone Fireye2

Fireye2

but at 79euros it is the cheapest combined DAC and amp I know of. It claims to be able to drive even the biggest of headphones. I have the Firestone Fubar DAC and Supplier and both are excellent.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 18
I doubt any budget amp will be able to drive the K701's properly.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 18
Woaw the Fireye2 looks very interesting, thx.
But i highly doubt that they will drive the k701. I'm beginning to realize that maybe i just have to wait till i get the money for an proper amp. It's just soo sad the see the k701 just stand there - not being able to use them without an amp :/.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 18
I recently picked up a vintage receiver to use as a headphone amp. Much around on the classifieds and flea/pawn shops and pick one up for $20
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 18
My FiiO E5 portable amp does a not bad at all job of coping with the K702s and the Fireye sepcifically states headphone ohms 32-600 working range. No, it will not be as good as a full sized amp/DAC, but it is going to better than 'soo sad' position you are in.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My FiiO E5 portable amp does a not bad at all job of coping with the K702s and the Fireye sepcifically states headphone ohms 32-600 working range. No, it will not be as good as a full sized amp/DAC, but it is going to better than 'soo sad' position you are in.

Woaw, very cool - I have a Fiio E5 laying around and I tried it out. You are right, considering the price of the E5 it acually does a good job. Now I really look forward to getting a great amp, seing how much these phones benefits from amping. Cool!
atsmile.gif

Anyway, a funny thing happend too. I plugged in the E5 with usb cable so that i could charge up (cus i was totally out for battery - never use it). Then i plugged in the k701 and after playing for little over 1 min the E5 was out of battery. First i thought - "what just happend! Did they break my phones!" LOL
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 18
K701/2's are power hungry. They require a lot of current to be driven correctly.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 18
They sure do, but now I can see their potential - which i really couldn't before hearing them without amp at all. I really look forward to a proper amp for them
smily_headphones1.gif

But seriously, I acually thought the the E5 would make the k701 sound worse cus I consider the E3 more of a gadget (or even a toy) than a an amp.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Any amping will make the K701's sound better, even if it's just for a minute.
wink.gif
Can you leave it plugged in to the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back