Low budget bookshelf speaker set up?
Mar 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

carlineng

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of setting up a low budget (~$500-$600) stereo system. My source would be my computer. I've read a lot of good things about the Paradigm Atoms. I would like to hear what you guys suggest for a receiver or amp to hook the speakers up to. Right now, I'm looking at the Panasonic SA-Xr55 or the Denon DRA395. Also, how would I connect my computer to said receiver/amp, and then to the speakers?

Bear in mind that I know virtually nothing about stereo systems or speakers in general.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 7
what soundcard are you using in your computer?

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 7
The panasonic is a terrific receiver if you have a digital output on your computer (either optical toslink or co-ax). If you only have an analog output on your computer, then I'd avoid the panasonic receiver. Cheap computer analog outputs usually are pretty bad. If you have only analog output and you don't want to upgrade, you might want to consider a sonic impact t-amp.

You might want to consider getting a better sound card to connect to the receiver.

Paradigm Atoms, PSB B-15/25s, Infinity Primus or Betas (there are some good deals on these Infinitys right now), are worth considering for speakers. I think you can get the infinitys delivered for about $150.

Vanns.com: Infinity Primus P152 Two-Way, Bookshelf Speaker (Primus P152) Features

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 7
The Panasonic outputs 100 W per channel, but the recommended amplification on the Atoms is 15-80 W. Would they still be compatible?

Also, my Audigy 4 Pro has digital outs (both coaxial and optical). Does digital output imply bit-perfect, or do I need to somehow enable that setting on my soundcard?

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 7
If it were ME I would probably pick up a nice integrated amp USED (you don't need surround do you???). This is for 2ch?? And then get a nice set of bookshelf speakers. The ones you suggest are nice. I have the Atoms, have auditioned the PSB you mention, in addition to the Alpha B1. I also have a set of Usher S520, and some B&W/Rotel gear in my living room.

TO my hears, I like the Usher in the price you mention. I drive them with a small 20w/ch tube amp. They sound GREAT in my office setup. I posted a pic yesterday if you're interested (look for the post on desktop speaker stands).

Something like this integrated would be great: Nad C 320 BEE AudiogoN ForSale: NAD 320BEE

Or this:Cambridge Audio A500 AudiogoN ForSale: Cambridge Audio A500

Basically, I'd look for a used in good shape NAD, Rotel, Marantz, etc.

THEN, spend the rest on some nice bookshelfs. You computer will drive this fine. That card isn't bad. Your ears will thank you!

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, Panasonic would be fine. Recommended amp power for speakers is a bunch of bs. You could hook those speakers up at a 1,000 watt amp without a problem, as long as you don't turn the volume knob up all the way (and if you did, you'd probably blow out both your speakers and your ears!). In real life, the greater risk to speakers is playing a lower power amp too loud, because it's amplifier clipping from being driven too hard that is the main cause of speakers blowing out. The risk is having too little power, not too much. Also, the panny is rated at 100 watts into 6 ohms - it's like 75 watts into 8 ohms. Anyway, the ratings are irrelevant, the Panny will work great with those speakers. Pretty much ANY amp will be fine with those speakers, from the t-amp up.

You're going to get a lot of debate about the relative benefits and downsides of class D and Class A-B. They definately sound different. The Panny using digital inputs is much quieter and more detailed than those AB integrateds, with better bass control. The T-amp is warmer than the Panny, but clearer than the ABs. I prefer the sound of the t-amp, but the convenience and control of the Panny. Personally, I wouldn't buy a class AB integrated today for use with modern bookshelf speakers. I have a marantz receiver, which is highly regarded, and the t-amp amplifier through the RCA outs of the receiver sounds far far better than the built in amplifier, imo.

One cavaet: I really don't like the sound of the panny with my old B&W 801 series 80 speakers. The amp is powerful enough for those very inefficient speakers, but it sounds cold. I think it may be an impedance mismatch, as those old 801s did not have a very stable impedance. But with modern bookshelf speakers, I've been really happy with the sound of the Panny. It's quite good.

I have not heard the Ushers, but I have heard good things about them. Some reviews say you should have a sub because the woofer will bottom out easily. It's also a bit more expensive at $400 than the other bookshelves mentioned. On the cheap end, the Infinity P152s are a great deal right now at about $100 pair shipped, or less if you go through the factory auctions on ebay. They are comparable to the Atoms.

I hope that's not too much information.

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all the info -- you've been really helpful! I'm going to try and find an audio dealer nearby where I can demo all the suggested equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back