Low-Bitrate Audio Comparison
Apr 30, 2003 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

elgoog

New Head-Fier
OK, so continuing my previous post about music compression for Pocket PC, I am posting the results of my own few tests.

My test equipment/media consisted of: Toshiba e335 Pocket PC with WMP and PocketMVP, some cheap Philips AY3682 PCDP cans, and the music was Hotel California (live edition, Eagles) and Moldau/Vlatava (Smetana)

First, I tried MP3Pro at 32kbps. The quality was flat, there was a LOT of background noise, and both Hotel California and Moldau sounded quite flat. The stereo division wasn't quite accurate either. The pros of MP3Pro are that it is a lot smaller, and is playable with any MP3 player.

Next, I tested WMA 8. This was slightly larger (<10% size increase) but offered a dramatic improvement in quality. WMA's channels were more clearly defined, and the sound was much more live. This made the Moldau sound much better, but it made Hotel California sound a little too tinny. WMA also has a major problem with noise.

Finally, I tested Ogg Vorbis. I was surprised at first at the size of the file necessary; Ogg files encoded at a quality of -1 required somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% more space compared to MP3Pro. However, a quality of -1 equates to a bitrate of about 45 Kbps (according to the encoder). This varies a bit, of course, because of Ogg's compression algorithms. The quality, however, was impressive. Not only did it rival MP3s of about 64 or 96 Kbps quality, but the amount of noise decreased significantly. The sounds became clearer, and the midrange reproduction was improved significantly. the player I used for Ogg, PocketMVP, also provided a graphical equalizer, which unfortunately doesn't work for Ogg (I don't think
frown.gif
...). The fact that I had to install a new player would probably be mildly annoying if I didn't use it for Divx playback capabilities already.

In a nutshell, if you're a compression freak, go for WMA. I think i'm sticking to Ogg though, for now.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an audiophile of any sort. All these comparisons were in my own opinion, and not based on any scientific evidence. If you have had different experiences with these compression formats, please tell me! Just... don't flame me or anything, or if you do flame, make it humorous...

May 2, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 2
I will probably try to write a separate review for AAC later. AAC is a lot different than MP3, Ogg, or WMA in that I don't have a player for Pocket PC, and I have also heard that the compression quality is flaky. I am currently experimenting with the PsyTEL encoder. It claims to be the best one out there (don't they all) but it is extremely slow for me, even with my P4. Oh well, I *should* study for AP tests. Less than a week left!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back