Low bass on Beyerdynamic dt770
Mar 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 35
I tried running my dt770/80 from my laptop but it was pretty dire, the headphone out is poor. Using a usb dac/amp makes a world of difference. As for bass, well the cans should represent the bass on the recording, but BOSE are very bass and treble heavy (its there in house sound) so there is an artificial bass-boost.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysinsession /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is an amp that cheap really going to make that big of a difference? If so, I'm going to pick that up ASAP!

To clarify - it will make A Difference It is probably not the difference you are looking for, I just tried my cans back to back with and without the Fiio e3 and the amp makes it louder and boosts the bass but the quality of the audio signal is just not there. The volume is only useful until about half, after that the bass is clipping so bad you can't tell what you are listening to. You really need to clean up the signal somehow, before you can make any useful comparisons. Even though my Creative SB1090 is not what I would call a good DAC it makes a huge difference in the bass and overall sound quality - and I do mean HUGE. This cound card coupled with the Fiio E3 puts out enough bass at 3/4 volume that it becomes uncomfortable. And I am used to hearing loud sport bike engines, race cars, etc..

An external sound card or DAC is probably what you are looking for

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To clarify - it will make A Difference It is probably not the difference you are looking for, I just tried my cans back to back with and without the Fiio e3 and the amp makes it louder and boosts the bass but the quality of the audio signal is just not there. The volume is only useful until about half, after that the bass is clipping so bad you can't tell what you are listening to. You really need to clean up the signal somehow, before you can make any useful comparisons. Even though my Creative SB1090 is not what I would call a good DAC it makes a huge difference in the bass and overall sound quality - and I do mean HUGE. This cound card coupled with the Fiio E3 puts out enough bass at 3/4 volume that it becomes uncomfortable. And I am used to hearing loud sport bike engines, race cars, etc..

An external sound card or DAC is probably what you are looking for

I believe the E3 boosts the frequency below 500hz by 3db.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 35
I still find it a little weird, my 770s have a great amount of bass being powered through my ipod. I just think you prefer the bose bass, but i think sticking with the 770s for a week and then switching to the bose will help you appreciate them more.

I vouch for the amp tho, if you're interested and looking for an amp, it does tighten up and make the phones more precise, but for bass i wouldn't call it absolutely necessary.

They sound great out of my macbook (maybe its got a good headphone out?)

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcspectre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still find it a little weird, my 770s have a great amount of bass being powered through my ipod. I just think you prefer the bose bass, but i think sticking with the 770s for a week and then switching to the bose will help you appreciate them more.

I vouch for the amp tho, if you're interested and looking for an amp, it does tighten up and make the phones more precise, but for bass i wouldn't call it absolutely necessary.

They sound great out of my macbook (maybe its got a good headphone out?)

Are you using the 80 ohm's or the 250 ohm's

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 35
IMO, the PA2V2 is but back when I bought it, I regretted my purchase. $100+ amps made a bigger difference that I thought. I was amazed with the difference comparing it to a GoVibe V6. If you really can't afford it, I actually prefer a CMOY with bass boost over a PA2V2. It's usually cheaper than a PA2V2.

Speaking on the DT770s, if you find the bass lacking on the DT770, either it's underpowered, or you're looking for massive upper/mid bass. If that's the cause, I don't think the DT770s will suit your needs.

Quote:

What's a better amplifier for the price?:

Fiio E5 @ $22:
Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Gary's PA2V2 @ $60:
Welcome to Electric-Avenues.com - More About The Portable Headphones Amplifier (PA2V2)

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Looks like I'm going to try out a Fiio E5 and a LOD for my ipod/iPhone. Would an E5 do anything for sound quallity if i run DT770>E5>Macbook Pro?

Honestly, I wouldn't expect much.

However, take my view with a grain of salt since I've never tried the E5 myself.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I wouldn't expect much.

However, take my view with a grain of salt since I've never tried the E5 myself.

No grains of salt needed. The E5 is a joke.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you are expecting too much or do the Bose have excessive bass?
Leave the Bose alone for a while, and concentrate on the DT770/80 without comparing.
Then after a week or so go back to your previous cans.
I think you need to adjust to a different soundsignature.
And maybe bass quality is more important then quantity?

Basically, this. It's your money if you want to spend it on amps, but in your place, I'd spend at least 24 hours listening to the DT770 (and not the Bose) before making any judgements. Your brain needs to get used to the new signature before you can accurately evaluate the headphones. With enough time, your mind can EQ anything into sounding normal.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 35
Maybe a cmoy? Not much, but can do the job ok.
A LDM+ is also pretty cheap, but I think may be lacking in bass.
Ebay link for Cmoy

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 35
Get a meier headamp. They go good with dt770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back