Low Bass Extension for AKG 501 vs. HD600 shootout
Jan 1, 2002 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
As promised in another thread, I'd like to start a discussion about a few CD choices that will show off good low bass extension to compare the AKG K-501s to the HD600 with a Clou Red.

I'll start out with Stings Brand New Day, the very begining of the very first song "A Thousand Years".

So, what else you got?

I plan on taking two or three of the top choices and buying them for the "shoot out".

Jan 1, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 15
To your ears perhaps, maybe I hear low bass emphasised.

Any that's one vote for a test CD which ain't gonna happen. Any others?

Jan 1, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
To your ears perhaps, maybe I hear low bass emphasised.

But if that's the case, then KR is correct. If for some reason you hear low bass "emphasized," then you wouldn't be the best judge of whether a particular phone has rolled-off bass, right?
evil_smiley.gif
Of course, that means that you would be happier with a headphone that is rolled-off, rather than flat (and you'll enjoy headphones more that most of us, since most are rolled off to some extent!!!
biggrin.gif
)

As for CDs, KR is correct that a test CD is the best bet. If a test CD has test tones at a constant level, it can clearly and empirically show if a particular headphone is rolled off or not. It's a much better test than a particular musical piece.

You can get a decent one for under $10. The Stereophile ones also have some great musical tracks, as well!

Jan 1, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Of course, that means that you would be happier with a headphone that is rolled-off, rather than flat (and you'll enjoy headphones more that most of us, since most are rolled off to some extent!!! )

I'm not so sure about that.. If Nezer's ears do in fact hear more bass than the average person, then hearing more bass would seem "natural" to him, right? If the AKG has rolled-off bass, shouldn't they sound relatively bass-shy to him nonetheless, seeing that he hears more bass in live concerts?

Jan 2, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 15
I don't hear exagurated low bass... I do, however, have a roll-off in the right ear between 9-11k of probably about 10dB or so. This is from an ear infection as a child. I also suffer from tennitus (ear ringing) in both ears for as long as I can remember.

What I do however have, with regards to bass, is the ability to adept quickly to eq changes. Both a blessing and a curse. Of course, some days are better than others.

Still I want some low-bass *music*. I can make a test CD easily enough...

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 15
I cant remember which head fier gave it to me, but someone here emailed me a mp3 of heavy deep bass, its like a THX test file or something, if you want, i can email it to you, its about 2 MBs.

George

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I cant remember which head fier gave it to me, but someone here emailed me a mp3 of heavy deep bass, its like a THX test file or something, if you want, i can email it to you, its about 2 MBs.

George

Please do, I would find that most helpful. I'm also going to do some low-frequency effects on the computer and generate a CD for low frequency testing.

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 15
I like track 9 of the Mars Attacks! soundtrack to test low bass. Somewhere in the middle of the track it kicks in. For some electronic low bass I use Kruder & Dorfmeister and Amon Tobin, can't remember which exact tracks though. Most of the tracks have fairly low bass, but there are a couple the extend even lower. Some of my classical CD's have some low bass but I can't remember which ones. Sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, my HD570 does a better job on the low bass than my HD600 by a fair margin. It clearly has too much low and mid bass actually. With the track 9 of Mars Attacks! it was shaking my head and not at a very high volume level either. With the HD600 it was just slightly too quiet, kind of a restrained booming. The KSC-50 wasn't too far off from the HD600. Of course the HD600 is rolled off somewhat below 50 Hz, at least according to the measurements of Headroom and KurtW. It is pretty darn good though. I'm also convinced my HD570 really has HD575 drivers since what I hear looks much more like the frequency graph for the HD575. No brightness at all, unlike the other HD570s I have listened to. Sorry for rambling on...

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 15
The Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc would be most excellent for your purpose. There is some good music on it, and the recording quality is very good. Hell, I recommend it just for listening any ole time...

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm a die hard AKG lover, and I'll tell you right now, they roll off. The HD600s clearly respond much lower. It's not a matter of exaderation, although the HD600s midbass is a bit big, but they hit lower frequencies at a higher SPL then the K501/401.

I still love my K401s, though. But surely theyre not good at everything.. Reproducing really low bass frequencies is one of those things they happen to be bad at.

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 15
I'd also like to comment, 36hz is enough for most people and music. This is the lowest frequency the K501s can reproduce before they begin to get too quiet. With some music, however.. You'll find the bottom to be missing.

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Get Appalachian Journey and just listen to Edgar Meyer's bass playing. He sometimes bangs his instrument around or shifts around or does something which just creates a very low resonant and woody sound. There is just very low frequency rumbling now and then.

My personal opinion...the Beyer DT931 edges out the HD600 in absolute low bass extension slightly, but is devoid of any midbass bloat. The midbass bloat of HD600 as experienced to me on entry level amps is not huge...it is probably not much more or less humped than you would hear from V6 or KSC-35 bass...in fact more headphones or speakers probably hump midbass to some degree than not. K501 also has no midbass bloat, but is behind HD600 by a noticable margin in terms of sheer extension. My pair of Grados have a bass extension that is worse than HD600, only slightly better than K501, but also has some slight midbass hump. Also IMO the tonal balance the hd600 will have more midbass, and a bit more lower extension. Compared to the DT931 or Ety's, the K501 has very similar midbass, but much less deep low end extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back