Loving NIN Ghosts - more like this for me?
Mar 8, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
So I bought Nine Inch Nails new instrumental album Ghosts and have been seriously enjoying it - perfect background music at work. No distracting lyrics, but it's interesting enough to alleviate boredom and keep me focussed.

I'm sure NIN will release a follow up in the next year or two, but what other artists/albums should I check out that are along the same lines?

If you haven't checked out Ghosts yet, you can download the first 10 tracks for free and buy the whole album if you like here:

Ghosts - Home

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 22
Along completely different lines musically, but with a similar effect for me is Sonic Youth.

Also, this album in particular:

thepropositionoriginalsru3.png

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 22
Not easy to recommend music along the same lines as NIN. Reason being, I just dont know any instrumental industrial.
confused.gif

You might like these:
Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works 2
Boards of Canada-Music has The Right to Children
Amon Tobin-Supermodified
Autechre-Tri-Repetae
Plastikman -(any and all albums)
The Knife-Silent Shout

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not easy to recommend music along the same lines as NIN. Reason being, I just dont know any instrumental industrial.
confused.gif

That's for sure. I have always enjoyed Trent's small instrumental pieces scattered throughout his albums. I have been hoping for years that he would do something instrumental with Adrian Belew. (off topic but I have always wanted additional instrumental work from Carlos Santana as well...) I'm enjoying "Ghosts I-V." It sounds like Trent fully intends to follow "Ghosts" up with future instrumental efforts.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's for sure. I have always enjoyed Trent's small instrumental pieces scattered throughout his albums. I have been hoping for years that he would do something instrumental with Adrian Belew. (off topic but I have always wanted additional instrumental work from Carlos Santana as well...) I'm enjoying "Ghosts I-V." It sounds like Trent fully intends to follow "Ghosts" up with future instrumental efforts.

It is certainly an interesting album, and excellent marketing! I bought the lossless download as much to support the marketing model as to obtain the music.
I hope it makes a very large impact on the future of the music business.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 22
I picked up the $10 package (CD+Download) but have not gone to the link yet.
Are there still major issues?
Im deliberately waiting to download at some random early AM hour as to improve my chances of not getting thrown off.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up the $10 package (CD+Download) but have not gone to the link yet.
Are there still major issues?
Im deliberately waiting to download at some random early AM hour as to improve my chances of not getting thrown off.

The only reason I manged to get mine to download sucessfully is because I popped the link into a download manager, which kept hammering at it until it came through.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 22
I think it's a lot better now. I downloaded on Tuesday, and it took me about 45 minutes for the FLAC version. I'd imagine the demand is even lower now, but I don't have a clue if they have any cap rates and what they would be.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 22
I tried downloading "Ghosts I-IV," after learning about it here, Monday night. It stalled with about 31 mb downloaded. I started again Tuesday afternoon and it took about three and a half hours. It felt like dialup all over again! I bought the CDX2 with a book (due out May 1st) and downloaded the Apple Lossless version. Kind of like the Radiohead "In Rainbows" marketing/purchasing scenario. I like it...

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 22
I think the new NIN is fantastic and would probably fall more into the IDM genre, so I would recommend stuff like that. Some as mentioned before, but to add, I'll also say maybe stuff like Arovane, Chica and the Folder, The Flashbulb, Hermann and Kleinne, Maps and Diagrams and so on.

Ghosts, I think really gets back to some of the more straightforward industrial kind of electronic stuff like some Front 242, early Skinny Puppy, Neubauten type of experimental stuff. I would think it you are looking for more "similar" sounding stuff to Ghosts, looking into the IDM genre would net you some very pleasing results.

I grew up listening to a lot of industrial music as a teenager, and these days I am finding that I am enjoying quite a bit of IDM as I have not really come across modern industrial music that does much for me.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 22
Nine Inch Nails really bores me. I've always been more into "traditional" industrial. Cabaret Voltaire and Skinny Puppy are two good ones to start with. Nurse With Wound, Coil, Death In June, Foetus, VNV Nation, NON, :zoviet*france:, and Current 93 are all good.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the new NIN is fantastic and would probably fall more into the IDM genre, so I would recommend stuff like that. Some as mentioned before, but to add, I'll also say maybe stuff like Arovane, Chica and the Folder, The Flashbulb, Hermann and Kleinne, Maps and Diagrams and so on.

Ghosts, I think really gets back to some of the more straightforward industrial kind of electronic stuff like some Front 242, early Skinny Puppy, Neubauten type of experimental stuff. I would think it you are looking for more "similar" sounding stuff to Ghosts, looking into the IDM genre would net you some very pleasing results.

I grew up listening to a lot of industrial music as a teenager, and these days I am finding that I am enjoying quite a bit of IDM as I have not really come across modern industrial music that does much for me.

What Is IDM?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 22
Nominally, 'Intelligent Dance Music'.

Really, it's the label that gets slapped to rhythmic electronic music that isn't distinctly meant for either the dancefloor or Buddha Bar-esque chillout compilations. A whole lot of unique and creative production goes on under the umbrella of 'IDM'.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 22
It means Intelligent Dance Music and it really is a pretentious term, but it sort of came out of artists like Aphex Twin, Autechre and Black Dog, who at one time, I would have just called ambient, but it had a bit more of an edge to it. I still call a lot of it ambient music, but I'm old like that.

edit - beat'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back