Loving my new iPod!
Jan 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I got the latest (as of December 25, 2009) black iPod Classic (160 gig) and I have to say that I'm really impressed. While this isn't meant as a full review, I wanted to counteract the "positive experience - no post" effect that creates a very poor signal to noise ratio on forums.

I avoided iPods for most of a decade because I really, really didn't like the sound quality. (Head-Fi would confirm that quite a few audiophiles agree with me.) So I've been using Creative Labs players. But since my battery on my last Creative Zen Vision M has started to act a little funky after two years, I decided to pick up an iPod Classic after hearing numerous reports of significantly improved sound quality on the iPod.

I'm very satisfied with this unit. While the Creative Zen Vision M had a little more emphasis on the low end of the sound, I find the iPod Classic very controlled and very clean. There may be an emphasis on the high end, but that might just be a result of my own biases coming off of a ZVM. For the record, I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-7506s, which have been my standby for the last 3.5 years. I'm mainly an EDM, punk, rock, and hip-hop listener, with jazz on the side (Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Herbie Hancock, Ella Fitzgerald)

(I occasionally use a pair of V-Moda Vibes when I need to minimize the footprint and wire length of my gear (like when I'm taking the train to the club and need to stash my player when I'm dancing.) When I use the Vibes, the clarity and emphasis on the high end works out really well. The Vibes' bass is a little sloppy, and this really helps balance them out.)

While certain proprietary bullcrap re: iTunes on my Mac is kind of annoying, the interface for getting songs onto my iPod is a LOT better than using the XNJB workaround for my ZVM, which was clunky and awkward, especially when it came to modifying tags on songs.

So if you're considering picking up an iPod, now is definitely the time. If Apple does discontinue the iPod Classic, as is rumored, then they're certainly going out on a high note.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Happy to hear that you like it. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't know about the Classic but my 4th Gen Nano versus the 5th Gen Nano is huge. The 5th Gen sounds tiny with a small soundstage. The sound is also substantially less than the 4th Gen. I exchanged it twice thinking it was a product defect but alas, no, it's the player and what Apple wants you to hear. I'm very disappointed in the 5th Gen. So, I've relegated it to the drawer and pulled out the 4th Gen for daily use. I've even applied a custom EQ to the 5th Gen and it still falls short. I am using an LOD with an RSA Shadow, so I'm using high end gear for the apples to apples comparison. I'd have to take a long listen to the Classic to see how it compares up but my guess is that it will fall short just as my 5th Gen Nano did.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong with my 5th Gen Nano or should I just bag it and use the 4th Gen.

Congrats on converting to the Dark Side. LOL Enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back