Loving my Grado PS500's, but...
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

powerpopper

Head-Fier
Around Christmas, I picked up a pair of 325is which I thought were quite nice but took the plunge to upgrade quickly to the PS500's. It was not a night and day difference, but after spending about a week with them I found I enjoyed the PS500's more and they are staying. After going through less expensive amps, I've settled on the Little Dot Mk IV SE.

I'd like to try another set of Grado's, though. I know, I know...I should find a shop and listen myself. Trouble is, listening in a store for 15 minutes (IMHO) is not going to tell me anything like a week or month at home will. So I'm wondering...if I like these PS500's, would a good second pair of Grado's be the GS1000i or the RS1i?

I am not a bass head and listen to a decent amount of classic rock but mostly acoustic music (guitar), Americana and songs that center around vocals.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Around Christmas, I picked up a pair of 325is which I thought were quite nice but took the plunge to upgrade quickly to the PS500's. It was not a night and day difference, but after spending about a week with them I found I enjoyed the PS500's more and they are staying. After going through less expensive amps, I've settled on the Little Dot Mk IV SE.

I'd like to try another set of Grado's, though. I know, I know...I should find a shop and listen myself. Trouble is, listening in a store for 15 minutes (IMHO) is not going to tell me anything like a week or month at home will. So I'm wondering...if I like these PS500's, would a good second pair of Grado's be the GS1000i or the RS1i?

I am not a bass head and listen to a decent amount of classic rock but mostly acoustic music (guitar), Americana and songs that center around vocals.

What is your current DAC and Amp? You're better off spending the cash on that to see what those PS500's
 can really do.

My 325i's scaled nicely with my rig's evolution over time.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

What is your current DAC and Amp? You're better off spending the cash on that to see what those PS500's
 can really do.

My 325i's scaled nicely with my rig's evolution over time.

I currently am listening through an Apogee Duet 2 but have tried out the Fiio E7/E9 combo, HiFiMan EF2A and Fubar IV Plus over the past few weeks. I just ordered the Little Dot Mk IV SE last night so I'll be seeing what the PS500's can do soon...:)

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Now using a Schiit Asgard through a HRT Music Streamer 2+...until my Bifrost shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back