Aug 1, 2002 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

The numbers just keep on rising ....

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 8
welcome to the world of infected servers run by ignorant administrators who get paid triple what i make and have no idea whatsoever about computer security. enjoy your stay.

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Argh I've had 8000 attempts by this dude in HK to get into my PC
Someone close this thread befroe I begin to rant.

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 8
hmm...maybe i should use zonealarm again...i always exit it because it takes up system memory and slows things down a bit...but i guess running without a firewall aint too smart
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 8
I've had Zone Alarm Pro (ZAP) installed for about 6 weeks and already i've had 265 intrusion attempts of which 117 have been 'high-rated' and 16 access attempts...

ho-hum

Aug 1, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
welcome to the world of infected servers run by ignorant administrators who get paid triple what i make and have no idea whatsoever about computer security. enjoy your stay.

HEY! You know, we try our best. Expect the situation to improve because the market is SO AWFUL for administrators these days that a lot of people that never should be in the business to begin with are bailing out. The pay isn't as good as it once was. My household income will likly be 1/3rd this year what it was last year thanks to the sagging tech market.

Also keep in mind that those of us that are left are seriously overworked creatures and are often bound by dumb-ass arbitrary rules imposed on us by management that often restricts our ability to quickly patch a server shortly after a vunerability is discovered.

Aug 1, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Nezer, you make me glad I'm a one-man show for this small company. Your description of the sagging market, pay heading down and the less than competent splitting describes the last company I worked for. They let go all the guys who had a clue (with the exception of my boss) and then the two guys that did most of the sacking went looking for greener pastures when they couldn’t handle things. My old boss is now the #1 computer dude for the whole place and is trying to hire back the good techs that got laid off. He got the job he always wanted (and should have had two years ago), but by attrition, with no raise and with problems that shouldn’t exist and were being hidden from management.

As for the overworked part, I'm up to 42 comp hours (I just had to take a job with a salary
rolleyes.gif
) from the middle of June. I'm glad I've got a job, but a weekend off would be nice.

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Hrm... and here I thought that sysadmin was the way to go because everyone needs one, nobody wants to be one, and they control EVERYTHING. MUAHAHA!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back