Loved the Klipsch S4, Is the Westone 4 a mistake?
Nov 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Virtue94

New Head-Fier
So I'm pretty new to the hi-fi world and I've only had the Klipsch S4 for a few months but I think its time I move on to something better. I love the sound signature in general but I do wish there was more instrument separation and clarity to go along with that as well as an over ear fit so the darn things don't fall off. I listen to a variety of music like country, alternative, dubstep, classical, and pop so I also need something that does everything well. I've been eyeing the Westone 4/4R for a while now and was wondering if that was the logical step up so any advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated. And on another note, do I need to amp the Westone 4 and if so, is a Fiio E6 enough or do I need something like my iBasso D6?

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
So I'm pretty new to the hi-fi world and I've only had the Klipsch S4 for a few months but I think its time I move on to something better. I love the sound signature in general but I do wish there was more instrument separation and clarity to go along with that as well as an over ear fit so the darn things don't fall off. I listen to a variety of music like country, alternative, dubstep, classical, and pop so I also need something that does everything well. I've been eyeing the Westone 4/4R for a while now and was wondering if that was the logical step up so any advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated. And on another note, do I need to amp the Westone 4 and if so, is a Fiio E6 enough or do I need something like my iBasso D6?

AFAIK if you love the S4 signature, I think W3 would be closer to the S4 signature instead of W4.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
AFAIK if you love the S4 signature, I think W3 would be closer to the S4 signature instead of W4.

I agree with this. I was "weaned" on the Image S4 myself, and while I do see its weaknesses now (too much bass even for me, lacking clarity), they were my first >$50 IEM. 

I have recently gotten the Westone 3's, and I must say they are pretty much all I could ask for in a universal IEM. Having tried a couple BA-driver IEM's and the Ortofon e-Q7, I was never satisfied with the amount of bass compared to dynamics, without having to EQ. The W3 is much better than the S4 in almost every way, and it still has just enough bass for my face, something I thought wasn't possible with BA's. 

I've never heard the W4's, but I'm very happy with the W3's. They are very, very easy to drive. No amp is necessary to achieve adequate volume levels, but certain amps help with hiss and sound quality. G'luck on your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back