loved my ER-6i's but want something different
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

atek3

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of ER-6i's which I liked a lot. Good comfort, good sound, then one channel started cutting out. Sent it back to etymotics, got new pair. After a year that one also failed. Etymotics said that it was out of warranty so I'd have to buy a new pair. I said, 'forget that'...

So now i'm debating what to replace them with. Most regular Earbuds I've tried (such as those that came with the iPod, Sansa, and HTC Dream) all hurt my ears. My Er-6i's with the triple flange were very comfortable. So I'd probably like to stick with an IEM with the same design.

For cheap IEM's I saw the NuForces being recommended, do they have 3-flange tips?

Are there any better IEM's in the $70 price range than the ER-6i's?

I'm loathe to spend more on my earbuds since most of the time they'll be used to listen to 160kbps MP3's on an ipod. I realize I'm hoi polloi, maybe after I get a job I'll move up to FLAC, Shure's, and a headphone amp.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 7
I once came from your situation and posted here...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...ct-re2-410676/

You basically get more of the same. The obvious differences with the RE2:

- Better soundstaging
- Slightly more bass, more detail
- Less accurate, more coloured sounding you will notice coming from the ER6i
- RE2 rolls off highs sooner
- Isolation is about the same
- Microphonics worse
- Cable is stiff
- ER6i fit my ears better

I was quite happy, the sound signature is pleasing coming from an Etymotic. It's a positive upgrade, but not a major one. They're $30 now, even if you run into them failing it's worth the risk and you'll get great customer service and no hassle replacement

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Theres the Klipsch S4 for $80.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 7
If you received the Paypal email with the $20 cash back you could get the SoundMagic PL50's for $35.00. I dont have these but have been thinking about pulling the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back