Love ZMF Eikon, but looking for something a little different...
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently own the ZMF Eikon due to my previous living circumstances requiring closed-back headphones, but now that I'm moving and can move back to open headphones, I'm looking to side-grade to something a little different.

I love mostly everything about the Eikon, except they feel a little closed in, and I missed the spacious sound you can get from open headphones. Especially when listening to post-rock/ambient (Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You, Hammock etc) that really benefits from the seperation of instruments.

Is there anything in the open headphone world that has as lush mids as the Eikon, bass that hits as hard and deep but also something that has a little more sparkle at the high end and better instrument seperation?

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 7
ZMF Auteur seems right up your alley, it's considered by many to be the upgraded open backed Eikon. Don't own (and haven't heard) the Eikon, but I do own the Auteur and it is a fantastic headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 7
I agree with @Daanish, the ZMF house sound is fairly unique to them, and the best way to match that tuning is to stick with them. the auteur is pretty neutral with a slight flair that gives it character. similar in a lot of ways to the eikon aside from trading the incredible subbass for a more expansive sound

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Yesterday I had the first chance to hear my Eikons with an OTL push pull tube amp build for me by a friend. Building that amp my friend used a couple of borrowed headphones as a reference - among them the Sennheiser HD800. I heard the HD800s for the first time. Indeed extreme open wide soundstage, clarity and detail. Analytical, leaner? Maybe (well, yes) but they certainly had bass and some meat on their bones and I did not experience the extreme treble harshness and other hardships that are usually associated with them. So maybe that would be a viable alternative.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Yesterday I had the first chance to hear my Eikons with an OTL push pull tube amp build for me by a friend. Building that amp my friend used a couple of borrowed headphones as a reference - among them the Sennheiser HD800. I heard the HD800s for the first time. Indeed extreme open wide soundstage, clarity and detail. Analytical, leaner? Maybe (well, yes) but they certainly had bass and some meat on their bones and I did not experience the extreme treble harshness and other hardships that are usually associated with them. So maybe that would be a viable alternative.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did consider the HD-800, but I think there just won't be enough bass slam there for me. Has anyone heard the HE-6 compared to the ZMF Eikon? By the sounds of it, the HE-6 might be the right play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back