Love your headphones but miss the bass slam and rumble of a subwoofer?
Dec 25, 2022 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
So thats the thought I had, wouldn't it be great if we could connect a subwoofer while using headphones at the same time!

That thought germinated a while in my mind til it reached the point where I realised I don't want to hear the subwoofer, but to just feel it.

Enter....the...

Buttkicker Gamer Plus
https://thebuttkicker.com/products/buttkicker-gamer-plus

Its used mostly for driving and flight sims to simulate vibrations and rumbles. Its basically a subwoofer without the cone, just the driver. So it doesn't make much noise, but produce the subsonic rumble of a subwoofer.

I connected it the RCA output on my IFI Pro IDSD which outputs to both its XLR output to my headphone amp as well as the RCA output to the buttkicker at the same time.

Since I use my headphones at my computer desk , I connected the unit to the centre metal pole/ shock of my herman miller aeron chair, but it will work with mostly any seat which you can "strap" it to.

After setting the highpass to about 140 hz and the gain level to 10%, I was off to the races. It was bizarre at first, but it does exactly what I wanted, it creates the subsonic frequencies below 140 hz in the form of haptic/rumble, but without making much sound.

After a couple of weeks of use, I can't use my headphones without it anymore. The mental trickery is real. The subsonic rumble makes the headphones sound (feel?) a MILLION times more low end then without. I have used it on my Stax L700Mk2, Empyreans, Arya Stealth etc... they require slight adjustment to the gain to work with each headphone but thats all.

Gain level never went above 15% so the Plus is more than enough for music listening and PC gaming.
And thats my experiment and review of the Buttkicker Gamer Plus with headphone usage :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Pretty cool

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 6
So thats the thought I had, wouldn't it be great if we could connect a subwoofer while using headphones at the same time!

That thought germinated a while in my mind til it reached the point where I realised I don't want to hear the subwoofer, but to just feel it.

Enter....the...

Buttkicker Gamer Plus
https://thebuttkicker.com/products/buttkicker-gamer-plus

Its used mostly for driving and flight sims to simulate vibrations and rumbles. Its basically a subwoofer without the cone, just the driver. So it doesn't make much noise, but produce the subsonic rumble of a subwoofer.

I connected it the RCA output on my IFI Pro IDSD which outputs to both its XLR output to my headphone amp as well as the RCA output to the buttkicker at the same time.

Since I use my headphones at my computer desk , I connected the unit to the centre metal pole/ shock of my herman miller aeron chair, but it will work with mostly any seat which you can "strap" it to.

After setting the highpass to about 140 hz and the gain level to 10%, I was off to the races. It was bizarre at first, but it does exactly what I wanted, it creates the subsonic frequencies below 140 hz in the form of haptic/rumble, but without making much sound.

After a couple of weeks of use, I can't use my headphones without it anymore. The mental trickery is real. The subsonic rumble makes the headphones sound (feel?) a MILLION times more low end then without. I have used it on my Stax L700Mk2, Empyreans, Arya Stealth etc... they require slight adjustment to the gain to work with each headphone but thats all.

Gain level never went above 15% so the Plus is more than enough for music listening and PC gaming.
And thats my experiment and review of the Buttkicker Gamer Plus with headphone usage :)
I have tried a Racing Sim that had multiple vibrator motors in the seat with subwoofer module like this. Must admit it was a experience I'm never going to forget.

Using it for music can maybe be something that works.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Any demonstrations of how to install it into the chair?

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I found this:

Anybody here who has it?

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 6
yup thats pretty much how i clamped it to my chair , on that vertical shock tube thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back