Love the SR60, now either SR225 or MS2i?
Apr 17, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mark_420

Head-Fier
I am looking at going up the Grado line, now Living in Canada there is only about a $100 dollar price difference between the MS2i and SR225. I am very interested in the MS2i because of the better sound quality and the better build quality as well. However I am a bit worried that the MS2i will not be a bright or upfront as I would like it to be. From what i read on the 225's they are a very good pair of cans. So to all those who have compared the Grado line to the Alessandro's, would the MS2i be too laid back for me?

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 19
I have owned both, and far prefer the MS-2i. It is more laid back than the 225, but it still carries the Grado Signature that you are looking for. They are a fantastic can all around, and I enjoy them a great deal more than I did my 225's. Without a doubt, go with the MS-2i.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the reply Gil, just curious as to what type of music you listen to? I will mostly listen to hard rock, 90's SoCal punk, alternative and some metal through the new cans. Do you think the MS2i would hold up well with there genres?

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply Gil, just curious as to what type of music you listen to? I will mostly listen to hard rock, 90's SoCal punk, alternative and some metal through the new cans. Do you think the MS2i would hold up well with there genres?

Yeah, I am into indie and alt rock mostly, some hardcore, ska, punk, ect. They are no doubt the sweet spot in the Grado lineup.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 19
I listen to the same music as you and they were pretty nice (MS2 though... not the new version but almost the same), they simply rocked but I had to sell them for a lovely pair of rare SR-200. The only thing I didn't like was that the vocals were not enough in my face but the guitars were. I would definately choose the MS2 over the SR-225 cause they can be found around $200-220 on the used market. Gotta love the look too !

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the HF-1, SR225, and MS2i simultaneously, at one point.

The MS2i received by far the most headtime. I was never inclined to reach for the others.

-Matt

did u sell the hf-1 then?

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 19
I think RS2 will fit very good in your taste.
wink.gif

Quote:

I am looking at going up the Grado line, now Living in Canada there is only about a $100 dollar price difference between the MS2i and SR225. I am very interested in the MS2i because of the better sound quality and the better build quality as well. However I am a bit worried that the MS2i will not be a bright or upfront as I would like it to be. From what i read on the 225's they are a very good pair of cans. So to all those who have compared the Grado line to the Alessandro's, would the MS2i be too laid back for me?

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 19
If you have the budget, the MS-Pro would also be a good choice. It does what the MS2 tries hard to do, but does it effortlessly. The MS2 is no slouch though as I preferred it over my HD650 a few years ago. I couldn't stand the lack of comfort so I sold it. The MS-Pro is much lighter and puts less pressure on my ears.
If you want a more up front sound, but in a more balanced presentation, the MS2i and MS-Pro's are for you
rs1smile.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Never heard of allessandro,used to have a pair of SR325i, sold because not too comfortable (weight problem), Got the SR-225 (before i heard
rs1smile.gif
n
gs1000.gif
).
SR-225 just my favorite Grado, Love it !!!!! w/ bowl (tape mod) is the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think RS2 will fit very good in your taste.
wink.gif

Now I'm thinking to RS-1 or 2.
Heard RS-1 n GS-1000, Just not ready to spend that much on headphone (GS1000). Just curious how RS-2 sound compare to RS-1 ?

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 19
I do not say that MS PRO would be a bad choice, but...

1. They are not punchy, up front sounding like SR225 or RS2. They become more punchy if you reverse the pads.
2. Highs are more rolled of / damped
3. They are less bright / clear than RS2
4. Very polite to your ears

Forgetting all that above, MS PRO still not have 100% Grado sound. Its shares a lot, but still not Grado, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the budget, the MS-Pro would also be a good choice. It does what the MS2 tries hard to do, but does it effortlessly. The MS2 is no slouch though as I preferred it over my HD650 a few years ago. I couldn't stand the lack of comfort so I sold it. The MS-Pro is much lighter and puts less pressure on my ears.
If you want a more up front sound, but in a more balanced presentation, the MS2i and MS-Pro's are for you
rs1smile.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 19
I wish I had the budget for the RS2 or even RS1, unfortunately I am stretching it to get the MS2i
frown.gif
. $300 US is about all i can dish out right now. I am using my tax return to pick up a pair of DT770's, an EMU 0404 usb and now either the MS2i or the SR225 (but probably MS2i). I just wish there was somewhere I could test out both cans. The closet place I can even get to test out Grados is in Toronto, and thats 4 hours away from me

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 19
I went from the SR-60 to MS2i... and haven't regretted it one moment! The MS2i are indeed 'more polite' and 'more neutral/balanced' ... but 'more' compared to what? Compared to the very fun but very colored grado sound, that is. Compared to Senns and other phones these metal beasts still pack quite some punch and you will still rock out as you did before.

Difference with SR-60 is that when you stop simply rocking out and try to listen to the music, you'll find a very detailed and pretty balanced sound that really can handle lots of genres. The Alessandros still come with the fun-included sticker on the box, but there is more. To me the SR-60 are a (very, very, very) fun phone, but nothing more. Unfortunately I auditioned the higher grados for such short times I can't really tell for sure whether they still suffer from that or not/less...

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Used RS2 is about USD 350-375, just FYI...
Once again

Punch> Grado's
Polite & neutrality> Alessandro's

Well, if you ask me for ROCK SR225 or MS PRO, I would take SR225. Still the matter of taste, I guess.

However I have only owned MS PRO and no other models.

Quote:

I wish I had the budget for the RS2 or even RS1, unfortunately I am stretching it to get the MS2i
frown.gif
. $300 US is about all i can dish out right now. I am using my tax return to pick up a pair of DT770's, an EMU 0404 usb and now either the MS2i or the SR225 (but probably MS2i). I just wish there was somewhere I could test out both cans. The closet place I can even get to test out Grados is in Toronto, and thats 4 hours away from me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back