Love the sound signature of Airpod Pro - upgrade options?
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I have a pretty nice desktop setup currently, ADI-2 Dac FS, Liquid Platinum and HD650, I also own Denon D2000. I picked up a pair of airpod pro a couple months ago, and the more I use them the more I appreciate them. I very much enjoy their sound signature and often wonder if there are similar sounding, "higher end" headphones for desktop use. They sound quite different compared to the HD650 and D2K. I really enjoy their bass and clarity/top end without harshness. Im surprised how much detail and clarity, and strong bass attack/pop they have compared to my desktop options currently. I don't believe they are technically better headphones, I think I just really enjoy their curve/color.

I've never tried any Planar headphones and wonder if this will give me the type of bass response im enjoying so much with the airpods pro. I've been seriously impressed with them honestly, I just bought them for noise cancellation, which is a really important feature for me in their use scenario, but have been very pleased with them overall. So much so, that it gives me second thoughts on spending thousands of dollars on high end desktop hardware. I think I just need to try some new phones.

Im open to all types of phones, dynamic, planar and IEM. Primary use case will be desktop, but the ADI-2 does have an excellent IEM amp as well. I've never tried IEM's before, other then the airpod pro, if they fit that description.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 7
I'll DM you some suggestions. I can't remember if this is the right sub forum for it. It might be under the help forum to make a thread like this

My suggestion is to go to a hifi store if you can find one, and try everything. (the closest one to me is Vancouver. Im 8 hours form Vancouver and 8 hours from Calgary, Im in a terrible spot heh)

We all could suggest something, but being an audiophile just means to like audio in reality. Some live for the cleanest most faithful reproductions, some like BAAASSSSS.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 7
If you like Airpods Pro, I recommend you try something like a Hifiman planar that's not HE-5SE, sundara or 400 line. Arya and HEK line are nice.. but not sure of your price bracket also more bass than airpods pro. Focal Clear are great, but a bit more present in high treble unlike airpods pro, but tonally both are tuned natural to the ear/ linear/neutral.

HD58X is actually sort of similar tonally, from memory, and tremendous value.

Honestly Airpods Pro are amazing. I wonder what Apple can do if ever they get in the 800$+ headphone market foray. I love mine, and they're keepers despite having some pretty crazy gear.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey guys,

I have a pretty nice desktop setup currently, ADI-2 Dac FS, Liquid Platinum and HD650, I also own Denon D2000. I picked up a pair of airpod pro a couple months ago, and the more I use them the more I appreciate them. I very much enjoy their sound signature and often wonder if there are similar sounding, "higher end" headphones for desktop use. They sound quite different compared to the HD650 and D2K. I really enjoy their bass and clarity/top end without harshness. Im surprised how much detail and clarity, and strong bass attack/pop they have compared to my desktop options currently. I don't believe they are technically better headphones, I think I just really enjoy their curve/color.

I've never tried any Planar headphones and wonder if this will give me the type of bass response im enjoying so much with the airpods pro. I've been seriously impressed with them honestly, I just bought them for noise cancellation, which is a really important feature for me in their use scenario, but have been very pleased with them overall. So much so, that it gives me second thoughts on spending thousands of dollars on high end desktop hardware. I think I just need to try some new phones.

Im open to all types of phones, dynamic, planar and IEM. Primary use case will be desktop, but the ADI-2 does have an excellent IEM amp as well. I've never tried IEM's before, other then the airpod pro, if they fit that description.
We have similar taste. I luv smooth and relaxing in general although I can put up with some things outside balanced if the technicalities rattles my bones.

I would think something without hard treble, but on the smoother side, darker side. 650 would be the first full-sized comes to mind when I think of something similar sounding. As for iems, you should look into Moondrop stuff. I use the older model, Kanas Pro, and don't feel that I spend much more and upgrade. I'm perfectly fine with them. Moondrop stuff tend to have a house sound, which is generally on the smoother side.

If you must try planars, maybe a used Hifiman HE500? Not too bright sounding of a Hifiman as some people find Hifiman stuff too bright. Least bright and most relaxing Hifiman planars are the HEX series, I only heard the V2, which was very laid-back sounding. LCD2C is fairly dark due to upper-mids recession as well.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 7
If you like Airpods Pro, I recommend you try something like a Hifiman planar that's not HE-5SE, sundara or 400 line. Arya and HEK line are nice.. but not sure of your price bracket also more bass than airpods pro. Focal Clear are great, but a bit more present in high treble unlike airpods pro, but tonally both are tuned natural to the ear/ linear/neutral.

HD58X is actually sort of similar tonally, from memory, and tremendous value.

Honestly Airpods Pro are amazing. I wonder what Apple can do if ever they get in the 800$+ headphone market foray. I love mine, and they're keepers despite having some pretty crazy gear.

The AirPod Pro is amazing as you say. I think some may overlook them due to them being Apple but honestly been very happy with the sound of mine and are my go to portables and exercise phones.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I honestly was not expecting much of them, and it took awhile for the disbelief of how good they where to wear off. Im a service technician and work out of a loud cargo van everyday, they are amazing at blocking the noise.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Agreed. I got AirPods Pro as a gift and was pleasantly surprised that they weren’t just bass monsters with terrible mids and a huge awful veil. Like many other consumer buds. AirPods Pro feature a fairly decent FR.

Apple really lost loads of respect with the Beats purchase, but with the amount of stoner dreamers still working there, the chances they strike gold sometimes are higher than most.

Imagine something the size of the AirPods Pro, or even smaller like the traditional AirPods, but with some witchcraft soundstage, and an even better FR. Charge me $555 ASAP, Apple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back