love the shure se215....but can it get better in the low-end?
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

borgqueenx

New Head-Fier
i really love the accuracy and beauty of the low-end of the shure se215...

although i wonder since im ina 14 day try-out period if it can be better.

Im looking at the sennheiser ie8 or the ultimate ears triple fi 10.

The thing i need more is bass. not more muddy, but desame beauty as the shure se215.....just more of it. deeper...like that.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 15
The ie8 definitely has more than enough bass. Don't know about the tf10's though.

You should post in this thread, and read the reviews there.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-310-iems-compared-impressions-of-t-peos-narmoo-astrotec-olasonic-p-870-02-24-14

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 15
One word. Actually a few.

Monster Miles Davis Tribute, Turbine Pro (Copper or Gold).

Mucho bass. The MDT is like the Turbine Pro but responds better to amps and has better highs, so I'd recommend that as my #1. Just make sure you don't buy a fake lol.

Note: TF10's have AMAZING highs, but not so great bass. Sennheiser IE8/80 just suck imo.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 15
One word. Actually a few.

Monster Miles Davis Tribute, Turbine Pro (Copper or Gold).

Mucho bass. The MDT is like the Turbine Pro but responds better to amps and has better highs, so I'd recommend that as my #1. Just make sure you don't buy a fake lol.

Note: TF10's have AMAZING highs, but not so great bass. Sennheiser IE8/80 just suck imo.

Why if i may ask do they suck? And by the way i forgot to say detachable cable is a must.

Thanks guys:)

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 15
The IE80 (which I'm listening to right now, btw) just doesn't have any bass, midrange, or highs. LOL. Seriously, they not bad, per se, but they're extremely overpriced and there are a lotta counterfeits out there. If they were <$200 I'd recommend them. I think both the IE8 and the IE80 got a D or D+ in the huge battle of the flagships review. 

Hmm... detachable cables? I was about to suggest the SE215 then I realized that's what you have right now. Are you open to cIEM's or regular headphones?

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 15
The se215 is 100 euro. The ie8 i can find used for 180 euro.
My budget....250 euro used or new.
Notice that euro and dollar prices are usally desame...

I really love the se215 but just like the bass to me more present. But still controlled and accurate like it is on the se215.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Hmm.. I mean, do you have to have detachable cables? If not the Turbine Pro's are definitely the way to go, or the MDT. Monster offers a lifetime warranty on their NEW products*, so if you go with one of the Turbines or the MDT (has to be from an authorized dealer), you could always send it in for a replacement.

*1 year unlimited warranty, after that, even if you break it yourself, they will replace it for FREE once. But just once. Provided you have a receipt from a Monster dealer.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL ABOUT BUYING THE IE8 OR IE80 USED. Over half the ones online are fakes from china. But that's not why I think they suck (I have a legit pair from razordogaudio and I don't really like them). 

I'm trying to think of alternatives that have a punchy, controlled bass and detachable cables... Hm. Maybe you can pick up a cIEM cheap off the classifieds here (1.37 euro to 1 dollar) and reshell them? 

If they don't have to be IEM's, how about the AT M50 or M50x?

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes. Detachable is a Must...i actually had the pro turbines copper...twice.
First ones broke after a month....second ones after 2 months...and they cost alot(bought them used) and thats why i never want earphones again with a non-removable cable.

And also, the bass in the shure se215 is better then the pro turbine copper for sure.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Yes. Detachable is a Must...i actually had the pro turbines copper...twice.
First ones broke after a month....second ones after 2 months...and they cost alot(bought them used) and thats why i never want earphones again with a non-removable cable.

And also, the bass in the shure se215 is better then the pro turbine copper for sure.

Disagree on the bass, but ok. Maybe you picked up a fake one? I have both real and fake MTP-C's and, well, obviously the sound quality. 

Going up on the Shure scale (e.g. SE315, 425, 535) won't help the boomy bass of the SE215; it actually detracts from it because of their BA drivers (vs dynamic in the SE215). Obviously better SQ, but going up the scale will make things more neutral, which isn't what you want. 

I do have on recommendation, but I haven't heard it personally myself (but have heard good things about it). The now-discontinued pre-logitech Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB (Extended bass, has one dynamic driver for the bass and one BA for the highs), IF you can find it. They're pretty rare these days. They have a detachable cable replaceable for $29 USD. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Hmmm....but if you think the triplefi10 sucks but a earlier version(?) is good? Shouldnt it be vice versa?

And the pro coppers are definatly real....they were on the refurbished ebay page of monster themselfs.

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 15
I NEVER said the TF10's suck. At all. lol. They're my all time FAVORITE IEM's. I just meant that they're not bass heavy as you wanted; the mids and highs are glorious though. 

The Super.Fi 5 Pro EB isn't an earlier version of the TF10, it was just a different model. At the time (pre-logitech), Ultimate ears had:

Super.fi 3 Studio
Super.fi 4
Super.fi 5 Pro
Super.fi 5 EB (extended bass)
Triple.fi 10

and of course their famous cIEM's (I own both the TF10 and the UE10 pro cIEM, not to be confused)

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 15
yeah i see it now haha sorry.
I was confused with the sennheiser. all those short names confuse me ^^

I tried looking up that Super.Fi 5 Pro EB but i guess its like you said....can't find it ANYWHERE. not even on ebay listed as new.
Only the pro version for a price thats really out of my budget. (410usd, but will need to pay ~80usd importing costs as well)

any other advice guys? ^^

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 15
I had the Shure SE-215 recently and they didn't work for me. I found them really uncomfortable—and I've been using in-ears for years. And for my liking the sound was dark.

A couple of months ago, I changed them for the Klipsch X10i and I'm very happy. Normally they would go for over 200 €, but I found them in eBay for ~ 100 €—I believe because the model X11i has already been released and they are probably selling what they have in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 15
I had the Shure SE-215 recently and they didn't work for me. I found them really uncomfortable—and I've been using in-ears for years. And for my liking the sound was dark.

A couple of months ago, I changed them for the Klipsch X10i and I'm very happy. Normally they would go for over 200 €, but I found them in eBay for ~ 100 €—I believe because the model X11i has already been released and they are probably selling what they have in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The X11 is just the X10 with a silver finish. Shame on you, klipsch. And the bass isn't what the OP really wants///

Users who are viewing this thread

Back