Love the Fiio FH-5. Where do I to go from here?
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
Love everything about these except the FR bump in the upper mids. Wouldn't mind a bit more extension above 8khz either. What should I try next? The FH7?

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 8
I have not heard the FH5 myself, but based on its FR I'd take a look at the Sony XBA-N3 or the Drop JVC FDX1
(I listened to the N3 several times and I own a moded FD02 which should be near identical to the FDX1. Will get the FDX1 in a few weeks)

The Sony has more low/sub bass but a smoother and more extended mid and treble FR, and maintains the Hybrid configuration
The JVC is a DD and tunable with the 3 included nozzles. Being a DD it has a smoother treble, it's really silky smooth. Makes me think of "liquid glass"

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Got a set of FH-7’s on the way. Should I consider the Shure 846 as well?

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 8
report back how you like the FH7.
Based on the frequency response I am curious if you’ll consider it an upgrade.

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 8
report back how you like the FH7.
Based on the frequency response I am curious if you’ll consider it an upgrade.

I do consider it an upgrade. I like it quite a lot actually. The lack of the upper mid-forward sound and the way they resolve much higher is all-around more pleasant. If anything, I'd appreciate a touch of the midrange back and a bit less of the 10k peak. But overall it's an obviously better sounding IEM.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 8
I do consider it an upgrade. I like it quite a lot actually. The lack of the upper mid-forward sound and the way they resolve much higher is all-around more pleasant. If anything, I'd appreciate a touch of the midrange back and a bit less of the 10k peak. But overall it's an obviously better sounding IEM.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
I went back to Crinacle's frequency graph comparison and started looking again at what I know, and came again to the conclusion that the XBA-N3 and FDX1 would be candidates.
But take it with a grain of salt, my experience is limited, especially with BA IEMs, where I only listened to the higher end ones at the stores, never owned one.
Cheers!

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 8
It has begun.

And as the the story often goes... I quickly went from checking out some cheap chi-fi stuff to buying the FH5 to scoring a used set of FH7’s and now I’m researching the JH Audio stuff. Sorry wallet!

it’s different for me as I work in the audio industry and after doing A LOT of research I’m understanding Jerry’s designs. I’m also realizing a used set of universal JH’s can be had for less than Shure 846’s. He can get outta here with that $2,500 crap though.

anyway yeah, I’m down the rabbit hole again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back