Love Songs, Ballads and Standards by Irvin Mayfield and Ellis Marsalis
Jan 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mangamonster

100+ Head-Fier
So Borders just around the corner from me is closing down, and I picked up Love Songs, Ballads and Standards by Irvin Mayfield and Ellis Marsalis half price off a whim. Well, it was one of the best finds I happened to stumble on. I consider myself new to jazz, but am just now beginning to appreciate it as an art in my 30's.

This CD was dedicated to Elis Marsalis's father passing away due to Hurricane Katrina. The album was produced by piano legend Irvin Mayfield. Both Elis and Irvin are masters of their craft, producing a pairing of jazz that I don't get to hear every day. The CD recording quality is amazing. All of the instruments are clear and precise.

Irvin's lush yet slightly haunted trumpeting sent chills to my senses in all of the recordings. It's almost as if a coat of sweet molasses was lofting above every one of his notes, lingering with a tad of brightness when some of Irvin's notes become darker and mellowed.

The piano sits behind the trumpet in every piece, but as a true master pianist, Elis evokes a lingering accompaniment that meshes with every note of all of the instrumentals. You know it's there slightly hanging back during some passages, yet the emotion behind his handiwork sustains a poignant and dramatic back and forth flow, that you can't help but notice when each key hits...it's truly something that you must hear if you enjoy jazz piano.

As a pair, Ellis and Irvin have created an album that has brought me to another stage of jazz duets. This album is very special and you can feel the emotion and passion behind their playing. I recommend this to anyone who loves jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back