Love Shure Cust. Service, but want Westone IEMs
Jan 18, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

phong

Head-Fier
I will be leaving for college in a number of months . . . and for some reason, I wanted to buy some Grados or Alessandro MS-1's but I am always running back to IEMs. I guess I like the isolation and the portability.

I have the muddy-sounding Shure E2c's. Not bad, could live with them. But reallllly boring, and I am dying for clarity and tighter bass. Got them in 2003. Shure customer service has been one of the best I have ever dealt with. As all of you know, they just replace the 'phones. However . . . I have always had problems with the E2c's (cept one time where it was my own fault), but twice, there has been problems with the product itself (wire problems in cable and broken plastic casing, both under normal use). My new E2c replacements are out on their way as I write. So, it has been 3 times that Shure has been nice (not to mention very lenient concerning their warranty) to me.

Lately, I have been looking at Westone's UM1. Great reviews, sounds like something very fitting for me. Sounds like it would be a little step up from the E2c's (or a lot, depending on who you are). Really wanna get 'em.

But see, that is the problem. I thought I fought the headfi addiction a couple months ago when I did not go on at all. But in the recent weeks, I have been back, browsing the forums. NOW i want MORE.

I like Shure so much that I am considering the E4c's again. That leads to another problem . . . Westone's UM2. I listen to almost all genre's of music (rap/hip hop, classical, rock, alternative, electronic, pop, folk, country, instrumental, etc etc).

Basically, should I get the UM1 and be content (hah). OR . . .

Get the UM2 cuz of the praise it has gotten OR. . . .

Consider the E4c again knowing that Shure will get my back with their 2 year warranty and awesome customer service.

Again . . . I want good balanced (or pretty balanced) IEMs to listen to my wide selection of music. Also dying for clarity, and again, tighter bass. Not considering Ety's.. I for some reason love the over the ear fit of the Shure and Westone IEMs. I am not a basshead, if I was I would have mentioned the super.fi's EB or Pros.

Thanks Headfi for fueling that lust for materialistic things (in this case, headphones).

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I feel it will be greatly worth it to go up for E2c. IEM company customer service tends to be superb, Westone's should not be lacking.

I can't help you on whether to pick E4c or UM2 but I am sure you will eventually progress to one of them
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, if you get UM2, ask the local audiologist who does stuff for Westone (there's a search function on Westone site) whether there is a package deal for UM2 + UM56, since a while ago someone reported a deal for $330 total which is significant savings. Not to mention you could probably do the deal, then sell the UM2s immediately after if you wanted UM56's for just E4c or UM1 for example.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't speak for Westone products, but as a happy Shure fanboy (progessing through the ranks, E2c->E3->E4), I can safely say that if you'd like a clear, powerful, tight IEM compared to the E2c (along with Shure's amazing service), the E4 will satisfy you. I don't remember the sound of the E2c too well, but I remember that the E3s were quite a bit better... the E4s are a bigger upgrade over the E3s than the E3s were over the E2cs, IMO.

Take it for what you will, but I'm more than satisified with my E4s.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Hell, I'll throw another wrench in the works and recommend saving up for the UE Super.fi 5 Pro. I listen to everything from classical harp to heavy metal and they handle it all, very very well.

Westone's customer service is amazing, though. Very helpful! During my 4-month Westone phase they were there every step of the way, from UM2 to UM56 to ES2. The UM2 is a nice IEM but in an a/b with the Super.fi I have to give the edge to the Sf5P on clarity/detail.

Donna

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by phong
Again . . . I want good balanced (or pretty balanced) IEMs to listen to my wide selection of music. Also dying for clarity, and again, tighter bass. Not considering Ety's.. I for some reason love the over the ear fit of the Shure and Westone IEMs. I am not a basshead ...

The um2 is kinda basshead type, alot of bass and kinda dark. Thats why I like em, I can listen for hours non-fatigued. Today I got the e4's but I really cant say anything until I listen for a few more days.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
The um2 is kinda basshead type, alot of bass and kinda dark. Thats why I like em, I can listen for hours non-fatigued. Today I got the e4's but I really cant say anything until I listen for a few more days.

if you can, after a few days, maybe keep me updated on that
tongue.gif
i would like to see how you would compare the e4 to your UM2's . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back