Love My Se530, BUT DO I NEED SOME UM2s?
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jerry Wang

100+ Head-Fier
Love my Se530 on either my ipod classic or my old CD walkman( i have a hell lot of cds and love their feel that i still keep my walkman around) The sound is unbelievable full and rich even comparing to my HD600 amped. while the only bad side is that it's soundstage is tiny (way too tiny than HD600) even compare to the lower end SF5 pro. Ue phones sound a lot wider than the shure phones but i just don't like the triple fi 's sound.

So, maybe um2 is sweet to me, though laking of bigger soundstage.

and here is the concern, i heard you guys saying um2 is a lot like se530 but a little more fun.(of the phones i ever heard SPF 5 is the most fun one)(never heard um2) But will it make a different or excitement to me since i already owns se530. Is is worth all these bucks i spend on them. or do i get a slightly cheaper and compact se530.

Anyone with experiences with the two, please help me on this.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes, they are similar in a lot of regards so if you are looking for a different kind of sound you may want to avoid UM2. UM2 is very upfront and in your face. Like sitting right in the studio with the band whereas SE530 is like sitting 10-15 rows back and I find this to be the main difference. They both do well with EQ so you can control as much bass (and treble to a certain extent) as you want.

Soundstage with SE530 is probably slightly larger, UM2 more intimate. UM2 is smoothest, creamiest and natural sounding IEM I have ever heard but I still love SE530. There are times I prefer SE530 and other times I prefer UM2. Lately it's been more UM2. They are both excellent IMHO.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 7
they are so close in sound it's not even funny. You might as well jus buy a second set of 530's. There is nothing about the UM2's that make them worth 200+ bucks to someone with 530's. They do not have bigger soundstage either. Just keep your 530's.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks guys!

i just think the bass come out of my se530 is perfect, quantity is perfect, (a little bit of annoying sometime on certain genres, but i guess it's my EJ815's fault, for on ipod, it makes me absolutely happy) while the bass quality is astonishing to me even after listening to my HD600.

and since um2 has bigger bass than this, i might feel it's too much for my taste.

BTW, i love the very focused super rich vocal on my se530, and the fact that all those highs are there but not emphasized that much makes se530 a listenable phone for extended hours of use and i would not feel a thing.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 7
one thing i hate about shure is the the tough tough cord connecting the phone on se530, and the poor-build rubber part of the phone(both on my se310 and 530) UE seems a lot tougher IMO.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thing i hate about shure is the the tough tough cord connecting the phone on se530, and the poor-build rubber part of the phone(both on my se310 and 530) UE seems a lot tougher IMO.

Yeah, when I was deciding between the SE530 (there was a good deal here in the FS section) and a new pair of UM2s, that was one big factor which swung the vote in favor of the UM2s. My old E4 had that rubber cable relief start to crack due to repeated bending. The UM2s are better designed, and the cable relief is sturdy, and more correctly anatomically angled. More comfortable, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back