Love my ATH-m50s but I am tired of the long coiled wire. Over-Ears are my preference I hate earbuds Please some suggestions from 100-200 Dollars?
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

joewild

New Head-Fier
I listen to everything from Chopin to Rock some Metal and some traditional Latin Music Mariachi and Salsa,Oldies etc. My normal listening situation is walking on Campus and in the College Library. I listen from my S5 the Mp3's I listen to are in the 256 kbps to 320 kbps range and I have had these ath m50s for the past 2 years but I am getting fed up with the really long coil cable. My budget is from 100 to 200 Dollars for over-ear headphones they are my preference. Please Help.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Hmm the M50x comes with detachable cable, long coiled + short straight + long straight bundled with it, if you are looking for similar experience. With similar sound signature you could also look at the beyerdynamic dt 770, it comes in different impedances so pick a version you can drive it or get something like a fiio e6 for a couple of bucks.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Since you need closed cans, the Fostex T40RP mk3 could be an option. They are the cheapest planar magnetic and sound way better than the m50s imo. Although these are hard to drive fully with your phone only. Has a short removable chord or a long at home removable chord.

Another good suggestion that is prob more suited to your situation are the Vmoda M-100s. Very good sound and great looks. Awesome removable chord.

I own the T40rp and have heard the M-100s many times.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 11
I had thought way back before I got the m50 that I would get the Beyer custom one because I think it has the short cable option but I wonder if it can compete I went with the m50 because wherever I looked it had more reviews and more of a reputation so it seemed like the reliable choice and I ended up loving them.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I have listened to the vmoda headphones at the Microsoft store near my house they reminded me of the sol republic I returned back in 2013. I will look into your first suggestion thanks!

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Were the Vmoda the M-100? Cause they can get confused with the cheaper cross-fade LPs. The M-100 sound way better.

The T40RP are harp to find on display to try out. But you you can read/watch reviews on YouTube.

Good luck and let us know how the search goes.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 11
I own the custom one pros, and love them. I really love the adjustable bass, and that they're easy to drive from anything from a phone, to a good amp/DAP. My friend owns the Brainwavz HM5, which are also great, with a detachable straight cable, and the sound signature is less bass heavy than the m50 and the Custom One Pro (also easy to drive from a phone.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/hm5-studio-monitor-headphones

Based on your music preference, I'd probably go for either HM5 or the custom one pro. Depends on how much you like bass in your music.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 11
The m50x go for 99 $ on amazon. Thats a very good deal imho.

I'd have to agree. If ur loving the sound signature, the e stick to the M50X and for $99, you can even sell you're pulled M50s for like $70 or $80 locally and the upgrade would be relatively cheap. At that point a cheap Fiio DAC/amp combo will rock the new m50x to a very satisfying level of sound quality and volume co.pared to your phone. That would be a big upgrade in sound imo. Even if the the new M50x don't sound that much diff than your old ones, the portable DAC/amp will kick things up a notch

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Oh and BTW, this article at Innerfidelity is a fun read about closed cans at your price range mostly. The reviewer does talk a lot about the chords. So you might want to read it:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey#BzDG11PYcibporex.97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back