Love Monk, now what?
Feb 3, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been an avid Monk fan for a while. I love his quirkiness of musical ideals but also his heavy foundations on bluesy rhythm and tone. What are some other artists (pianists?) that either came close to his style, or were actively after his style?

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Generally, I'd say to be careful with that; Thelonious's style is so singular that when most musicians try for it they end up either sounding like weak fascimiles or just plain silly. There are a few people that have kinda made it work for them, though:

Randy Weston
Abdullah Ibrahim (also known as Dollar Brand)
Barry Harris
Jaki Byard

Herbie Nichols has a quirky style of his own that came together concurrently with Monk's.

Tommy Flanagan has recorded the best Monk tribute record ever: Thelonica

Sun Ra's earliest orchestras (or better, Arkestras) are as eccentric, bluesy and hard swinging as Monk's larger ensembles were. Try Sun Song or Sound of Joy. Maybe Jazz In Silhouette or Sound Sun Pleasure!!.

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a couple of Sun Ra's albums and also find the earliest works quite bluesy. Of course, his later albums are totally in a different stratosphere
eek.gif

I also read about Randy Weston in the book "Straight No Chaser". He seems to be Monk's "protege", though I have never heard of him. He is not that well recorded, I assume? I can't seem to find any of his music on yourmusic.com

I have also dappled with Jaki Byard's playing, especially of him with Charles Mingus. He's indeed very explosive in the group.

I will check out others as well!

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 6
On the contrary, Randy Weston is very well recorded. I don't know the deal on yourmusic.com—unfamiliar with the site—but he's been making records since the '50s, and I think he was even nominated for a Grammy in the '90s. One problem with these downloading sites is that they tend to only have music that was (or has become) semi-popular—basically, stuff they think they can make money off of. Unfortunately, that leaves out a lot of great music; with just a few exceptions the absolute best music has often happened outside the mainstream. Even many of Miles Davis' records didn't sell well when they were made, but since he was on a major label his records always have a chance at a second hearing.

Anyway, if you're looking for records, you might try With These Hands or maybe Solo, Duo and Trio.

For Jaki Byard, I'd say try to find a trio record called Hi-Fly. Interestingly enough, the title track just happens to be one of Weston's most famous tunes; many people have recorded it. (Weston's other sorta well-known tune is "Little Niles".) The record also has an amazing version of Monk's "'Round Midnight."

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 6
not to go off on a tangent, but if you like Monk and sax...
check out Charlie Rouse's side projects!
His work with Monk is excellent

simg_t_mf53359vlfaujpg175

19784222.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 6
if you don't already listen to him...
Charlie Mingus has his own style, but as a compositional jazzman shares a similar spirit as Monk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back