Love letter to my most used headphone
Nov 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
It has been 5 years now… Many other headphones have come and gone, some “higher-end”, some “lower-end” but it stayed. It has even been around the world a few times and it is still my daily go to headphone.

My first “proper” full-size headphone: Audio Technica’s limited edition ATH-AD1000PRM; have quite literally shaped my purchase choices since the day I bought it. Back then the decision was a compromise on not willing to dish out fully for the Sony SA5000 or the AD2000, now I found myself lucky what I did. It is certainly something special and still very capable, not once I found it lacking even against the big boys that coming out lately. I still haven’t really found anything that matches its female vocal presentation at any price. Even after hearing all the Summit-Fi setups, from R10, L3000, K1000 to SR009, HD800, TH900, etc. I was never tempted enough to let go all my current headphones and go for any of them.

Can’t fault my current setups both home and portable, they are everything I wanted them to be. I might have found what I really before it even started back then. I guess I can say that I have really ended my journey happily.

Summit-fi isn’t what I wanted; I just needed that little magic and that “click” when it snaps right. Looking back, the £200 stepping stone ended up being the foundation which I build upon. I am pretty lucky to get what I wanted first time.

I love my AD1000PRM. Sometimes, price tag just doesn’t matter. If you love what you are hear already, you might be closer to the goal than you think. I found what I wanted, have you?

Look, how happy it is hanging out with its friends there.

Disclaimer: This is an extremely biased personal opinion right here, but isn't personal audio... personal after all?

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 6
So where is that report.
popcorn.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I remember that photo.
normal_smile .gif

It's always nice to see more affordable gear deliver greater performance and/or pleasure than the high-end stuff...

What's the difference between the AD1000 and the AD1000PRM?

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
It's been many years since I have heard a pair of AD1000 myself. I remember two are just different sounding pair of headphones, AD2000 sounds different to the PRM unless modded. Audio Technica have this fun idea of having their headphones sounds different even on the same line. Not unusual to find someone liking for example, A900X and really disliking the A2000X.

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 6
nice. think i'm falling in love with the w3000anv all over again. was taking its special qualities for granted there for a while. even openly criticising it. what was i thinking? :wink:

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Same here for me loving the AD900 above the HD800.
For the AD900 even though the bass is missing significantly, the soundstage and the actual female voice magic is incredible. Just check the song Little Dragon -Twice and you'll hear what I mean :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back