Loudness (& my Marantz 1060)
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hazertag

New Head-Fier
Wondering if anyone knows if the Loudness push button on a Marantz 1060 integrated is dynamic in nature?

Been doing some research and it sounds like Loudness has practical uses for lower level listening, to boost the highs and lows, where the human ear is naturally deficient, but at higher volumes isnt as necessary.

Just doing some experiments it "seems" like my Marantz 1060 attenuates the Loudness adjustments at higher volumes, which I understand to be the way Loudness should work. 

Wondering what everyones thoughts are here and if anyone knows how I might find out more about the Marantz control.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 7
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=4

You can get the manual at the above link.

Page 5 on loudness isn't clear.  It does imply it only works at low volume levels.

Had one of those.  Sold it to a friend.  He asked about the phono (he had CD, and tape, no turntable).  I warned him about it.  He called me a few days later asking where to put the CD jacks as it didn't have one marked CD.  I told him tuner or tape or Aux.  He asked about phono again.  I said phono is the one place you don't want to put the CD.  I repeated, do not put the CD into the phono.  Use anything else.  In some brain fart, he hung up the phone, connected the CD to phono, blew the whole thing up. Insisting later I told him to not use anything except the phono for CD. 

Really sad as it was a pristine unit. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 7
More modern receivers vary the intensity of loudness by the volume. Older ones don't. If it has a phono input, you can bet that it doesn't.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Some really old amps have loudness linked to the volume control. I don't see why some old receivers wouldn't.

To be sure: measure the frequency response at two different levels.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Older amps and receivers don't have dynamic loudness.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 7
  Older amps and receivers don't have dynamic loudness.

If by "dynamic" you mean the frequency response varies with loudness, then you're right. But if you mean it varies with the setting of the volume control, you're mostly wrong. If it had a loudness switch the response almost always varied with the setting of the volume control. Tapped log pots were no more expensive than non-tapped pots because they were built in greater numbers, and the rest of the components were the same, so it cost no more to build that way.

It helped that, pre loudness war, system gain structures were better balanced. Maximum output when playing an LP was usually around the "1 o'clock" to "3 o'clock" setting of the volume control, and maybe noon to 2 for tuner and tape. This resulted in a fairly natural sounding curve when the volume was reduced with loudness switched in.

When CD players arrived, the CD input was matched to the output when playing CDs of the era. But when CDs began to get louder, the volume control had to be turned further and further down, until maximum output on CD was often around the 10 o'clock position, where the loudness circuit was still having an effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back