!!! === loudloudloud thumpthumpthump
Oct 1, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
he he he ... just got Myth Takes a few days ago and popped it in for the first time this morning. Fun CD. But guess I've been listening to some much more sanely mastered CDs recently, because I had the volume set about normal, and it nearly ripped my head off. Yikes, why even the indie labels master these records like this, I'll just never understand. But aside from the lack of nuance and any semblance of naturalness, it doesn't sound bad. No obvious clipping from a casual listen.

But like I said, from a distance this is some fun fun fun music (ok ok ok, I'll stop with the silly triplets
smily_headphones1.gif
). Kind of like a combo of two of my favorites in Talking Heads and Laika. Maybe not quite prime TH or Laika, say Speaking in Tongues meets Good Looking Blues, but good combo, although a bit dated by now. Way too upfront and punchy for my serious listening (remember, just talking about me), but I can see this providing some very cool background.

I know Viro and DLW are big fans, anyone else around here?

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 5
I too would probably fall under the category of casual fan of !!!, I like Myth Takes better than Louden Up Now (which is good, but some of the songs on that album are flat out exhausting IMO). They're a lot of fun to listen to for me, but I know I checked them out a bit at Lollapalooza and I'd have to say I'd probably never pay money to see them live. A really good EP of theirs is Take Ecstasy With Me which has that song (a cover originally done by Magnetic Fields I believe) and a cover of Nate Dogg's "Get Up."

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I love "Myth Takes" and "Louden Up Now",. It makes my disco punk heart go pitter patter. Those who don't find !!! challenging enough might try Out Hud (shares members of !!!) who swing even more toward the dance floor but with more obscure rhythm and complicated song structure. For me, they point toward Laika even more than !!!. "S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D." and "Let Us Never Speak of It Again" are fantastic.

I don't think D wouldn't like them though - too many bleeps and bloops. (you're never going to live that down DLeeWeeb!)
icon10.gif

Davey, speaking of natural sounding music, you should check out 'cross' by Justice. I think you would love that. j/k :
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back