Louder = better...?
Sep 28, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #61 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
God, I hate bassheads.

Not only are they annoying, but these people have actually managed to ruined rock concerts. Because of the widespread obsession with eardrum-tearing bass, concert venues always have to crank up the low end so that you feel it in your chest, adding way too much white noise to the music and sacrificing a lot of clarity and audio fidelity in the process.

i was at a rock venue recently, and all i could hear with my earplugs in was the singer and the bassdrum. the bass and lead guitar were completely blown out of the spectrum by the drums
mad.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #62 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
i was at a rock venue recently, and all i could hear with my earplugs in was the singer and the bassdrum. the bass and lead guitar were completely blown out of the spectrum by the drums
mad.gif

Wearing earplugs at a concert? Hmm that kinda defeats the purpose of live music. Well I supose if the sound system was so bad I can understand. In few hours I am off to see Roni Size at hi fi bar http://www.thehifi.com.au/default_hi...9&command=gigs

The sound in this club is quite nice and clear so earplugs would just make sound muffled I think
blink.gif
Or do concerts in Holland crank it up so loud it actually hurts your ears? The only time I needed earplugs was at a Formula 1 race.

Sep 29, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #63 of 67
Hardstyler: get a pair of Etymotic ER-20, ASAP. It's almost like the volume just got turned down in the outside world.

Also, read a little more, and get some decent paranoia about your hearing!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're not ill, your threshhold of pain may be as much as 40dB above your threshhold for permanent damage (when exposed for long periods, like a typical concert).

Sep 29, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Just out of curiosity, but when I wear hi-fi equipment outside, people ask if my cans are loud before anything. People swear that louder is better, and I was just wondering if this was the common view on headphones, or just a distinct group of people that happened to live by me. People also think that their $5 pair of Coby headphones, or $10 sonys are the best headphones around simply because they are loud. It is the same situation with any type of audio gear. Now my question to the head-fi community is this: Does everyone else talk to people who also share the opinion louder is better? If so why do you think that is?

I think they say "loud" while meaning "swinging". E.g. "Is this amp able to make a hd650 loud?". Many also think that listening at low volume levels is a thing that makes you an audiophile :p (It must have to do with those very expensive 6w tubes amplifiers). If I put apart any medical consideration, I could say loud is beautiful.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #65 of 67
perhaps im the opposite.. lol..

my car is sound deadened to the maximum with teh panels filled with foam, so when you knock on the outside it sounds like wood
blink.gif

i have two 18" subwoofers with 2000wrms pumped into them, tweeters with 25w going to each, mids running at 125w a piece, and midbass grabbing probalby 150+wrms each. now surprisingly the subwoofers respond very well to fast beats despite their size. they also sound much better than the lame cheap systems you can pick up at circuit city and the like. I have the amps being fed from an active crossover appropriately splitting the frequencies. The gain on the bass amp is turned down all the way on the remote and probably doesnt reach full 2000w until max on the knob. but hell at all the way down its still damn loud. but gotta love playing some rock/altenative music and feeling the wonderous kick drum while experiencing a tingly feeling while the electric guitar is playing slightly to the right and up front while also taking note that the drums are coming from BEHIND the guitar as well as the other instruments coming from various locations.

on one hand im sure that my system will blow up most systems that "kids" have, but also will sound pretty damn good while doing it. though i think i need to do some more tweaking to get it to sound better, but the airyness of the sound is pretty neat to listen to.

maybe im deaf, but i sure like my music! im currently looking into some beyer dt770's as per recommendation of another user on here, but i have some senn hd212pros with supermacro3 amp at the moment. but theres an itchy hole in my pocket that wants money to start coming out... ack
evil_smiley.gif

edit: i forgot to mention how 10hz test tone is kinda neat to watch. strangely the subs can actually produce sound at around these frequencies.

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #66 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Well, I am one of the exceptions. I am definately a lover of good sound and no basshead by any stretch, but I like to listen to my music loud. This is part of the reason that I immediately write off bright headphones as if you crank them up they can get quite painfull. To me, when music is played with authority there is a body and dimensionality to the music that is just not there when played quietly. I love the way that live music sounds [as long as I'm not right next to the loudspeaker
basshead.gif
] and this is the best way that I know to reproduce it.

Listening to a little Thelonious Monk right now with my 'amp turned up to eleven'...
biggrin.gif

Yeah, i agree more with this, when you crank it up a bit more than what you usually listen to, the music just seems bigger
And usually the louder= the more you can hear (detail wise)
I just don't do it because my ears get tired after half an hour or so..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
God, I hate bassheads.

Not only are they annoying, but these people have actually managed to ruined rock concerts. Because of the widespread obsession with eardrum-tearing bass, concert venues always have to crank up the low end so that you feel it in your chest, adding way too much white noise to the music and sacrificing a lot of clarity and audio fidelity in the process.

White noise mostly comes from high frequency drivers (eg tweeters)
And bass in concerts has to be loud because it's what gets people jumping around and feeling 'pumped'.
Imagine a rock concert with no kick drum or bass guitar
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #67 of 67
actually, when i first was playing my car stereo in active setup, i actually heard detail that ive never heard before, like peoples mouths moving/ licking lips, etc. but only if it was turned loud. i like it loud enough to give you that tingly feeling on a good song.
biggrin.gif

now if only i could find headphones that could do that for cheap..... hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back