loud vs. soft dilemma
Sep 6, 2001 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jmpsmash

100+ Head-Fier
i have a dilemma.

i am currently using the HD580 driven by Earmax Pro. it is a great sounding combo, except when i play orchestral music, the sound is rather lay back. so lay back that even when i am in the right mood, i don't feel engaged in the music. it feels more like music whining in the background.

however, while i am listening to chamber music, it sounds absolutely perfect as the instruments are much forward.

i noticed that the orchestral sound is much more open if i turn the volume up more than half way, this is more than my usual volume level, which is fine as it is not "tiring" as the hd580 is really giving out some nice sound.

the problem now comes with the environment, i live in a cube environment and no doubtedly all my neighbors won't want to share my music with me. and this is the reason i have my cans setup in the first place!
wink.gif

should i change to a closed headphone? will i lose the great sound of the hd580? i really love this headphones detail and musicality.

what should i be looking into?

Sep 6, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 2
I'll beat tomcat to the punch and say Beyerdynamic 770s
wink.gif

Haven't heard them myself, I won't vouch for them. I will vouch for the Sony MDR-V6s because they are closed, $75, easily driven, and accurate. Sturdy, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back