Loud volume damaging HEADPHONES?
Jun 20, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 24
I'm in the burn-in is mind-related camp.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 24
Dynamic driver burn in is recognized by some manufacturers and engineers. However, word from the manufacturer could just be rubbish. Burn in = customer holds onto them longer, which = no return to the store after 30 days.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Dynamic driver burn in is recognized by some manufacturers and engineers. However, word from the manufacturer could just be rubbish. Burn in = customer holds onto them longer, which = no return to the store after 30 days.

Even with a long burn in 30 days is more than enough to decide if you want to keep a product.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #19 of 24
I have heard from studies conducted regarding burn-in that shows that a warm driver performs slightly better than a cold driver (in a sense that warm means "already running" while cold means "just began running").

However, the interesting thing is that it didnt matter how many hours (or months) the drivers had been run, if the driver is turned off and is allowed to cool down - the driver begins the next run with the same capabilities as when it was originally new and as a few milliseconds passes, it goes into its warm phase where it performs identically to when it was new but warm.

Did I make sense?

In essence, burn in isnt true but is also true.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
Let me get this straight.

Dynamic drivers absolutely burn in.

Balanced armature drivers absolutely do not burn in.

Cables absolutely do burn in.

Wine ages well.

Beer does not age well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
All of that is up to speculation. lol

Have you ever tried 10 years old beer?
icon10.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 24
If it interests anyone, the chief engineer at Ultimate Ears, Jerry Harvey, does not believe in burn-in for balanced armature canal phones.

And cable burn-in is just a ridiculous notion.

-Matt, Proud Big Foot Believer

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
cable burn-in is just a ridiculous notion.

headphone burn in is logical/physics, but cable burn in is unjustifiable in any way... i agree

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard

Beer does not age well.

There are some Belgian beers ( trapist ales and such ) that age very well to around 10 years. Also some stouts and porters get much better with age.

Any physical explanation for cable burn in? I can understand burning in a moving membrane but metal wire that is just supposed to conduct an electric current?

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMgX
There are some Belgian beers ( trapist ales and such ) that age very well to around 10 years. Also some stouts and porters get much better with age.

I KNEW there was an exception for beer -- thanks for clearing that up!!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back