Loud turntable hum even with ground wire connected
Mar 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KElyas

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

So I've just set up my first turntable and everything is going fine except than the loud humming.

It becomes a lot quieter only when the ground wire is connected and  I touch the screw or the surrounding area at the same time.

So using that information, can anybody diagnose the underlying issue and explain possible methods I could take to resolve it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had the phono plugs in the wrong part of the amplifier Doh! No hum now even without the ground wire connected, weird.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi Head-Fi,

So I've just set up my first turntable and everything is going fine except than the loud humming.

It becomes a lot quieter only when the ground wire is connected and  I touch the screw or the surrounding area at the same time.

So using that information, can anybody diagnose the underlying issue and explain possible methods I could take to resolve it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had the phono plugs in the wrong part of the amplifier Doh! No hum now even without the ground wire connected, weird.

Try running another wire from the grounding post to the screw that holds the faceplate of the closest electrical outlet, while the TT ground is connected to the grounding post, of course. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back