Loud static with HD555s
Oct 7, 2005 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CavemanDoctor

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Recently got a pair of 555's. Plugged them into my home theater receiver to watch a movie. At not-very-high volume levels, there was a pretty loud static. Can't hear it unless the scene itself is quiet but it's definitely there.

Any ideas?

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 8
I heard a ton of static when plugging my HD555 into a crappy aiwa all-in-one stereo system, and some static also when plugging it into some Kenwood receiver. I do not hear static with the HD555 plugged into any reasonable source/amp. It is probably your receiver.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 8
I have a similar problem. I bought HD555's less than a month ago and I can hear static while listening to music. They're connected to my sound card(Audigy 4) because I listen to music on my PC. The static is not loud and only occurs in some slow songs that are not too loud but have some loud parts, ie Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't know what could be the problem, I listen to high quality FLACs encoded directly from original CD's.

Is there anyway I can test my headphones?

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a similar problem. I bought HD555's less than a month ago and I can hear static while listening to music. They're connected to my sound card(Audigy 4) because I listen to music on my PC. The static is not loud and only occurs in some slow songs that are not too loud but have some loud parts, ie Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't know what could be the problem, I listen to high quality FLACs encoded directly from original CD's.

Is there anyway I can test my headphones?

Try shielding the soundcard, checkout the "X-fi hotrodding" thread for more info, I think its on the computer-as-source forum here. I got quite a bit of noise out of my Audigy 2 with my 555's until I got rid of it. My external usb dac + amp has no audible noise except with very sensitive IEMs.

Don't try any of the soldering mods unless you're confident and have a fair bit of experience and good tools. Its not that hard of a mod but it IS easy to strip the contacts and kill your card, which has happened to a few people.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 8
I got hiss from the 2 onboard sound cards I tried with the 555. I heard it was probably a problem with the source, so I went out and bought a m-audio audiophile USB and haven't had issues since.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by xollox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got hiss from the 2 onboard sound cards I tried with the 555. I heard it was probably a problem with the source, so I went out and bought a m-audio audiophile USB and haven't had issues since.

Hmm..that's like extra 250$. When I bought these headphones I thought I was set for listening music on my PC, that's a sum of money I'm unwilling to spend ATM. Is there a cheaper solution?

Toby, I'll check out "X-fi hotrodding" thread, maybe that helps.

Thanks guys.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I got mine for $130USD at Sam Ash. The point wasn't to sell that particular device, but to reinforce that the source is probably what is causing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back