Lots of Sound Equipment, What is best?
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Belial88

100+ Head-Fier
So I have all of the following stuff (or rather, access to, it's sort of a collection of family stuff that no one is using). I mean I could sell it if it's worthwhile, even. 

Anyways, I just want an idea of what would be the best set-up for my desktop (Z87X-UD3H, ALC898 + DRV632 600ohm headphone amp). I do, gaming, general usage, etc off it, in my private office. I also just ordered some Sennheiser 558s, but I'm wondering if any of this equipment would provide better sound. In which case, maybe I would return the headphones, as the point of the headphones was literally to just upgrade my sound.

Speakers
Philips FW-C250 Mini Hi-Fi System with 3-cd Changer (ie cd player system with 2 speakers, with an 'rca to stereominijack adaptor to my motherboard) for stereo

- 2 x KLH Model: 990 small speakers

- 2 x JBL Northridge Series N24AW Left and Right speakers

- 2 x Bose Model 101 Music Monitor (serial number: A50681 and A50682) these are from 1984, 2 small speakers

- 4 x Studio Accoustics Speaker Pair, probably IW-250 or something, these look like you cut a hole in your wall and they fit in (the speaker mesh part would be wider than the hole, so you punch a hole in your wall and fit these in it seems). Brand new

Receivers
- Sonance Sonamp 1250 MKII This thing weighs a TON

- JVC RX-718V 

- Sony STR-DE897

- TEAC AG-V8525
20130718_143951_zps6a574e21.jpg

Subwoofers
- JBL Subwoofer AC 0008-02643 Model: Sub 6 

- Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II by Henry Kloss, 43064,

Currently Using

- Phillips FW-C250 

- JBL Subwoofer Sub 6
(mentioned above), I have it plugged in-line, like I have the Front Audio out from the back of my motherboard, to the Red/White connection on my Phillips CD changer set. Then, I have positive/negative cables for Left and Right speakers going from that, to the Subwoofer, and then out from that to my Left and Right Speaker. The Subwoofer 'intercepts' low notes, makes a bbrrbrbrbbrb, and the speakers play as normal. Sound definitely is better with the sub hooked up, I can change it's sensitivity (ie what it considers bassy enough to switch on for) and the volume of it (how loud that bassy signal will come out as).

Pictured on the left is the Subwoofer and then the speakers.

Thanks. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 10
Because a lot of it doesn't plug together easily and neatly, and that'd be a huge pain in the ass and take forever to do, it's not at my house, it's an hour away (not far and I'm always there, but still). 

And aren't just $150 headphones like the 558 going to be better than any of this stuff anyways?

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks, that's all I'm getting at. As I understand headphones $100-200 will beat audio equipment $1000+. The difference is that I might have said audio equipment, or enough of it where I could maybe use the subwoofer + $200 speakers and have better sound, or something. I don't know, that's why I ask. I have no clue what any of this stuff is, I know you plug speakers into receivers but as far as I know it's just a receptacle (yes, I've read on them a million times). 

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 10
  Thanks, that's all I'm getting at. As I understand headphones $100-200 will beat audio equipment $1000+. The difference is that I might have said audio equipment, or enough of it where I could maybe use the subwoofer + $200 speakers and have better sound, or something. I don't know, that's why I ask. I have no clue what any of this stuff is, I know you plug speakers into receivers but as far as I know it's just a receptacle (yes, I've read on them a million times). 

Not true. A good set of speakers can sound much better. There's several variables, but in your case the best option would be to try it all, but you will probably be better off with the headphones.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Which should I try out? I can't exactly take the time to try them all out. Right now I have the Phillips speakers with the JBL Sub6 subwoofer hooked up inline. I don't think you can do 2.1 sound so I can't really do the sub any other way (unless is it possible for me to do 5.1 with different speakers?). 

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 10
You should consider using the sonance, I think it might be a decent amp. How do you hook up the sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back