Lotoo PAW S1 vs iBasso DX220
Feb 3, 2022 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mamema

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i'm a satisfied owner of a Lotoo PAW S1 with (until yesterday) async 3.5mm Connection to my Dan Clark Aeon 2 Open. Til today, now with sync connection balanced.

Shortly, end of this week, i will own a DX220 with AMP1 MKII and AMP8 (desperately searching for AMP9)

BEFORE i get the DX220 i want to ask here about experience of at least the PAW S1 in comparison to the DX220 regarding sound quality.
I just want to come to a comparable impression from my own ears to what others say.
At the end i want to know if i keep the S1 or sell it.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Feb 3, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Two things to note - the devices have different use cases. The S1 you'd use with a phone or a computer, is more compact and power and duration is limited by the host device - I see it as more likely being used as a mobile but place-based solution (desk, coffee shop, library). The DX220, being an all-in-one, doesn't require a host, but does require charging to maintain battery life - this is a mobile device, commuting, walking, riding as well as place based. I'd see no problem in justifying keeping both unless there is a desperate need to free up money, but...

TBH having an S1 myself and a pair of DCA aeons (closed), its not a pairing I'd chose to use on a regular basis. I don't think the S1 can generate the current necessary to drive the Aeons well. You can use the pairing (I am now while typing) but I think compared to a DAP with a healthy power supply - such as the Dx220 - you can easily hear improvements in macro dynamics and headroom from the DAP.

Not withstanding that, I'm on record around here as seeing the Aeons as a desktop device - not a dongle. With their low sensitivity, they need current, which is really best supplied by a robust power supply with good large capacitors. I've used the Mojo, iFi Black label and any number of DAPs, but none come close to a Naim Dac V-1 in driving the Aeons satisfactorily for my tastes. Some DAPs may now come close to those power supply requirements, I still prefer the desktop approach.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 5
thank you for your detailed answer. I will have an AMP8 in the DX220, so it "should" work. And even though i understand your description regarding S1 and mobility, i intentionally bought a DAP after i had cable issues with the S1, like others have also (see threads around here), for mobility, because of, at least one cable connection less needed.
I just try to wrap my head around the topic, keep or sell the S1. Is it comparable in sound quality like
a.) yeah ... S1 is not as good as DX220, but not far away, it's good for / better for genre xyz, or something
or
b,( after you've put on the DX220 you'll never touch S1 again

....such stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back