Lotoo DAP or AMP
Apr 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

karl-o

New Head-Fier
I'm using the ipod classic with B&O h8 or Bose OE2.  I want to improve the music listening experience.  Should I buy a new DAP or should I just get a portable Amp to pair with my Ipod Classic.

For the DAP, I'm considering Lotoo PAW 5000
For the Amp, I'm looking at OPPO HA-2

I cannot audition them because they are only available on-line.  I did not find any reseller here in Sydney.

Thanks

Karl

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

I'm also from Sydney - Australia.

Personally, my advice would be to go for a stand alone DAP because:

1. Stacking creates bulk you need to carry around.
  2. Stacking phones with dac/amps can create interference from the phones radio signals.

If you're going to be on the go a lot you must consider the above.

I actually have a PAW 5000 coming soon, I can tell you the results in the designated thread are mixed. Many saying it has lots of features and others labeling the sound as mediocre. The reason I'm getting one is to find out. When we take into consideration the weak Australian dollar, paying $500 for PAW 5000 may be a bad move. 

Here is the thread (if you have not read it already)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765461/lotoo-paw-5000-impressions-thread

In Australia, you have these online stores to consider audio products.

1. Noisy Motel (Melbourne based)
  2. Addicted to Audio (Melbourne and Sydney based)
  3. Minidisc (Based in Chatswood Sydney)
  1. Headphonics (Perth)

If you can get to Chatswood Minidisc have many players there you can demo instore which is what I'd suggest doing. If not then take a look at what they offer in terms of players and research them on our portable source gear section and using the sites search feature.

Source Gear section: http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear

Some that come to mind are:

1. FiiO X3II
  2. Cayin N5
  3. XDuoo X3
  4. Hidzs AP100
  5. FiiO X5II

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi there, I have a Lotoo PAW 5000 for every day use - on the train, my daily jogs etc - suits me fine as I don't really want to put loads of music on my phone. Prefer to keep things separate. I have no complaints. Using with simple Xiaomi IEMs at the moment but looking to invest in some custom made ones in the near future I think. Just getting hooked into all the stuff and enjoying the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back