lost
Apr 9, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kal_el_3914

Head-Fier
can anyone link me to a site where it would have instrucions on building or that sells good quality +/- 30v power supply with a 50 ma 5v stabalized (not sure what it all means, 2 separate power supplies?, so i have no clue where to look) for the "amp1 b" from this site here I'm new to diy and probably need an idiot's guide type explination, so as detailed as you can make it would be appreciated.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I can't help you here but a meaningful topic would probably get a lot more replies.

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kal_el_3914
can anyone link me to a site where it would have instrucions on building or that sells good quality +/- 30v power supply with a 50 ma 5v stabalized (not sure what it all means, 2 separate power supplies?, so i have no clue where to look) for the "amp1 b" from this site here I'm new to diy and probably need an idiot's guide type explination, so as detailed as you can make it would be appreciated.

as said on the site you linked, you'd need 1 unregulated +/-30v psu with 150-300VA transformer and 1 regulated 5v-psu (50mA). you could use tangent's tangent's tread for the small 5v psu, but i'd recommend to stay away from that project at all - dealing with 300VA transformers is dangerous! this is no beginner's project.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 7
What's the budget?

A 60V CT, 5A transformer alone isn't going to be cheap. A specialized power supply containing such a transformer, much more expensive still.

It could be dangerous for someone new at PSU design and implementation but on the other hand it's not necessarily more dangerous than ??? (anything else). As with any custom PSU, already there's the element of the high voltage and amperage input. One must take similar care in dealing with the ~ 60V transformer output too.

If you could settle for a lower amp output, the price of construction might go way down. For example a 120VA transformer for only $11 here, (60V CT [center tapped] would be your target?) and since it doesn't need be regulated (at least according to the article it doesn't), it would simply be a matter of rectifying it and putting a couple filter caps after that... I didn't look at the rest of the amp, perhaps it has the caps already, do recall some mention of 10,000 MFD.

With a little forethought, you could even put together a Tread or Steps to regulate that, just make it the minimal voltage drop possible to reduce costs of the regulator, and of course appropriately rated caps and diodes in the design. It'd just need more scrutiny to make sure nothing is amiss before powering up. You might email the author of the article for examples of what s/he feels will work as "unregulated" is a pretty large variation in voltage from an unloaded PSU.

As for the 5V, consider it a second power supply inside same chassis.

Since it's relatively easy to find higher voltage caps and diodes, mainly the hunt is for a cost-effective transformer. You will probably need to build this rather than buying one, I dont' recall seeing too many +/- 30V 5A supplies ready-made... none actually but then I wasn't looking for them either.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
A 60V CT, 5A transformer alone isn't going to be cheap. A specialized power supply containing such a transformer, much more expensive still.

A 60V CT will put out ~84V after the rectifiers. That will need to be regulated. That is a little tricky since most regulators alone are good for 1-2A. Either that or use a lower voltage transformer.

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Tangent's Steps, Tread will accept an LM1084 which is good for 5A if sufficiently 'sunk. A parallel array of them might do the job and then some, but would tend to get expensive too, especially for a supply that's supposedly not needing regulation.

Somewhere around here I have a higher amperage supply with a Darlington pass-transistor regulation stage.. that might be a viable alternative and not too expensive either. As always Google would turn up designs but here's the basic concept, though of course expanded as the budget and needs dictate.

pass_tran.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back