Lost Westone 3's, Need replacement
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So unfortunately, I lost my Westone 3's on my trip to costa rica. I am now looking for a replacement and I need some help finding something that is perfect. Since I really loved the Westone 3's I would simply  buy them again, but unlike last time, there seems to be no good deal online (amazon) to get get them and $400 is a little too much for me.

I listen to mostly indie rock music and a little electronic (not techno, theres a difference). Also, something that would be really nice would be a button to control the music player on my iPhone. For example, Etymotics HF2's had one of these. I was not the biggest fan of these headphones because for me that lacked a little to much in bass (not that im a bass lover, but these headphones just didn’t do it for me).

I've been looking into the IE8's, ER4P's (these have a great deal on amazon), and the klipsch x10i (although I cant find a very good deal online for these).

If you think you know the headphones for me, please share.

Thanks,
Gabe

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 14
IE8s supposed to be relatively bassy, but aside from a UE TF10, there aren't a lot of alternatives that even approaches the overall performance and especially comfort of the W3s.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 14
You could try ebay. This seller has them for $320. Just call/e-mail westone to make sure that they are authorized, and that you'll get warranty support.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 14
The ER-4P has a neutral profile while the W3 has a V profile (it has lower and sharper but the midrange is very quiet) with the triple flange tips. Some owners use W3 with Comply for rock but I never really liked me for that kind of music. I think the W3 is not an IEM for rock but the ER-4P is neither.

I like IE8.
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
The ER-4P has a neutral profile while the W3 has a V profile (it has lower and sharper but the midrange is very quiet) with the triple flange tips. Some owners use W3 with Comply for rock but I never really liked me for that kind of music. I think the W3 is not an IEM for rock but the ER-4P is neither.

I like IE8.
wink_face.gif

The w3 is perfect for rock and the midrange is by no means quiet ,im playing pink foyld on them at this very moment and the guitars are really singing along with all the other weird instruments in the mids 

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
the IE8 is bass heavy though right?

Yes. And you can adjust the bass.

Quote:

The w3 is perfect for rock and the midrange is by no means quiet ,im playing pink foyld on them at this very moment and the guitars are really singing along with all the other weird instruments in the mids 

It is correct if you don't use the triple flange tip but if you use them, the bass is very heavy and very bright treble. IMO that is not appropriate for rock.

PS: sorry for my english. :wink:

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Yes. And you can adjust the bass.

It is correct if you don't use the triple flange tip but if you use them, the bass is very heavy and very bright treble. IMO that is not appropriate for rock.

PS: sorry for my english. :wink:

well i never use the stock triple flange tips as they are very firm and uncomfortable ,dam right painful in fact ,try monster hybrid foam tips on comply cores  ,two on each earpiece and you will be rocking 
L3000.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 14
I would stay with the W3. Soundearphones has the 15% off right now with the code "site15". They might even go lower if you email them, got my pair from them for $320 a few months ago. I've had the Ie8 and they sound great but not as good as w3 imho and the fit is no wear near as good. Also as far as soundearphones.com... They are authorized and are a sponsor on head.fi..great guys to boot. Good luck.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 14
I think Radius DDM, JVC FX700, MTP Copper are good for these genres and they shows great bass response with overall clear, detailed mids and highs.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listen to mostly indie rock music and a little electronic (not techno, theres a difference).

The Grado GR8 fits very well with that style of music. It has a bass fast, a very lively midrange and treble very clean.

I use it with the double band Super.Fi 5:

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back