Lost UM2 + custom molds - should I try SE530?
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I have managed to misplace my beloved UM2 + custom molds (UM56) during my last transatlantic flight. So, in thinking about replacing them, I thought perhaps I should try the SE530.

I selected UM2 after comparing it with E5s originally. It has been a while so I can't remember why.

I really liked the UM2 + custom combo and will probably get the customs made whether I go with UM2 or SE530.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 13
I wouldn't describe UM2s as lacking, but you know how it is - always looking for something better. When I compared UM2 against E5s I used foamies. There was definite improvement in comfort and SQ with custom molds. Are SE530s much better than the E5s or are the differences cosmetic?

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 13
se530 and um2 are different. se530 doesn't sound as smooth as um2 and the bass is tighter, with brighter highs and wider soundstage. But i think if you use them for not very serious everyday longtime listening. um2 will be better.

and I am waiting for westone 3s.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't describe UM2s as lacking, but you know how it is - always looking for something better. When I compared UM2 against E5s I used foamies. There was definite improvement in comfort and SQ with custom molds. Are SE530s much better than the E5s or are the differences cosmetic?

well the e500 was designed to be the improved e5c so it should be better. and for a long time many have said the e500 is better cosmetically and soundwise.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by garthfluff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd hold out to hear some opinions of the UM3s

++ Definitely should.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 13
I would also suggest you wait for the Westone 3's... looks like everyone's hyped to see what those are all about, + the driver(s) and sound might be similiar to your 2's, so you won't have to adapt to a different sound signature, etc.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 13
The westone 3 should be insane. But its different to go from Dual to Triple drivers in earphones, Hopefully westone knows what its doing. They have been doing it for quite a while. But I am going for the Klipsch Custom-3's which are the first generation earphones klipsch made. I would go for something else with that Pricetag though. But solid choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back