Lost Treasures Rediscovered
Aug 4, 2003 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

williamgoody

Banned
Ever put on an album or CD after quite some time and just get totally transfixed by it again; not because of new gear necessarily, but because of the "musicality" and the emotions that may come over you because of what you hear?

I have, "The Joshua Tree" by U2. It's been a good six or seven years since I listened to this album. But I put it on tonight and was again reminded of how much I loved this album, as well as how I felt when I listened to it in the past. The music really was "alive"again.

Feel free to share if you've had a similar experience.

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 6
Two cd's this weekend that hit me just the same way.
Johnny Winter -- Second Winter
Enigma -- MCMXC a.D.
I havn't listened to either of them in a while(mostly the Winter CD) and I had forgotten how good they make me feel. It got me to digging through some other stuff also. Right now I've got Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" in.

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Ah ha! So it's you who's sending out the U2 vibes. I'm also listening to then right now and I haven't heard these songs in years. I'm listening to Best of 1980-90 though.

Since my musical tastes have evolved so much, I can't say I have rediscovered anything. I'd have to bust out the tape deck for some old school rap and glam rock. They bring back some fond memories but uh... I dont' even know where those tapes are.

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I know what you mean williamgoody. Have been listening to The Rolling Stones, It's Only Rock 'N Roll and The Eagles, Their Greatest Hits. Timeless.

cool.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 6
This happens to me all the time. My record collection is like a harem: each night I bed with -- literally -- a few of my long-ignored beauties, and I'd be reminded the reason that I love each of them.

But here's a more interesting example: I like Jewish/Klezmer music; indeed I have quite a collection of these. I have however refused to lay my hands on any Jewish CD for at least 9 months (no folks, don't Take It Outside please). Then one night, for no particular reason, I put this CD by the klezmer group Jontef in the CD player, and I was immediately lost in a blissful reverie -- the warm, burnished tone of fiddle and clarinet, the weathered male voice, the songful melodies, celebrations, sorrows: these are what life is all about; politics seemed very small in comparision.

Aug 6, 2003 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 6
This tale starts in ~1960, when I picked up a Col "360" double LP called "Stars for a Summer Night". It was a sampler with one disk of Classical excerpts, and one disk of lighter stuff, like Art Van Damme, Les Elgart, Percy Faith, Harmonicats, etc. I fell in love with the Les Elgart treatment of "Lazy Afternoon". All these years I was never able to locate the Elgart album having that single on it, and have spent a good deal of time and effort searching for it's appearance on CD. Finally, I saw that the "Collectables" catalog had a double album of Les and Larry Elgart that was foreign to my Elgart collection. Mirabile dictu! Among the tunes listed was "Lazy Afternoon". So I ordered it, and it arrived a few days ago, and when I selected that cut, there it was, coming from my Beyer 880's, that same wonderful arrangement that I have been playing in my mind for over 40 years. I was floating, just as the band was floating that song. Turns out the name of the album was/is "Sound Ideas", in case there are any Elgart fans listening? It can be found at www.oldies.com
So that's my tale. What's yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back