Lost sound in one ear of HD 595! Help!
Nov 3, 2007 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jesusfr3ak4evr

100+ Head-Fier
The worst thing possible happened today. When getting out of my seat my foot caught the cable for my HD 595 headphones, which yanked the cable out of my amp and sent the headphones flying 4 feet away. (it was a horrible site to behold). When I plugged in the headphones again, I had lost hearing out of the left ear. I don't know what to do now to fix them. I'm hoping the problem lies in the cable, and that I can replace it somehow. Is there a guide for replacing the cable for the HD 595, and if I replace it, which cable should I replace it with? Help is much appreciated.

edit: I should add that if I push the cable into the socket on the left ear of the headphone, that I can get sound out of the left ear. It seems to me like something has lost a good connection, but it also appears like recabling is a real pain on these cans. I don't have $125-150 USD to pay to Sennheiser to recable them, so this is definitely a DIY job.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow... that scared me a WHOLE lot... I thought you lost hearing in one of your physical ears... It looks like the HD595 cables are not user-replaceable... You should call Sennheiser about it.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying plugging in another pair of headphones into your source. It sounds to me like it's not your headphones that's broken, it's your sound jack!

No, that's not the problem. For one thing, just by pushing the cable harder into the headphones, I achieve full sound in both ears. Also, I tried plugging my headphone cable into both my amp and my laptop and get the same result.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had to recable them with the stock cable due to it being bitten in half by my kitten.

It's not as easy as the HD580/600/650 but they are certainly user-replaceable.
Buy the cable from the Sennheiser service centre, remove the ear-pad from the right ear, remove the filter and unscrew the cover.

When you remove the cover be very careful as the cover is connected to the driver by way of wire, so it'll have to stay close to the driver whilst you replace the cable.

Basically the cable runs through the cable hole in the bottom and is then terminated in a 4-pin plug. Plug it in the correct direction, which you should still be able to see with the current cable and replace the small piece of foam that holds the end of the cable in place.

Fairly straightforward, but I messed around with it too many times and one time ended terribly and involved a solder iron.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that's not the problem. For one thing, just by pushing the cable harder into the headphones, I achieve full sound in both ears. Also, I tried plugging my headphone cable into both my amp and my laptop and get the same result.

If that's the case, check out Sennheiser's guide to re-cable HD595.

http://www.sennheiser.com/howtoexchange/index.html

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the case, check out Sennheiser's guide to re-cable HD595.

http://www.sennheiser.com/howtoexchange/index.html

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. I'm thinking I may just need to re-solder a wire that has gotten a bad connection. I may just upgrade the cable though, depends on how much a new one costs.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good upgrade cable for the HD 595? I'm looking for the best value, I don't want to spend as much as my headphones cost on a cable
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good upgrade cable for the HD 595? I'm looking for the best value, I don't want to spend as much as my headphones cost on a cable
wink.gif

I don't think such a cable exists. I was also looking for the one, but didn't succeed.

By the way, I have found a picture with a seem-to-be custom cable here:
http://www.headphone.com/productphot...081595_164.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back