Lost one UE double-flange Silicone tip of pair- Shock at replacement expense!
Dec 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Title pretty much says it all. How darn expensive are replacement tips! I know this likely is not reserved just to UE's but is probably echoed across all diffferent IEM manufacturer's replaceable acessories, but still, thats outrageous to charge 14 or 15 GBP for one set of silicones! It's just so frustrating cos I'm now stuck between a choice of the single flange silicones- which, I don't feel deliver the sound as fully fleshed out as the double flange variety- or the crappy, cheap UE's foams. That or splashing out on a replacement set of silicones, some extremely expensive-for-what-they constitute comply foams or to modify olives. I was just happy and settled with the double flanges, sound, comfort, fit the lot. And considering I'm in the middle of side-testing an array of DAPs, its just usurped one of my constants. Irritating. Anyway tantrum over.
cool.gif

On a related side-note, anyone have a tip for a way of applying alcohol/surgical spirit to the inside of the tube of a silicone tip? I think my laziness of not bothering to come up with a way of doing this may of been causing my tips to come off more easily and frequently.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Tell me about it! I just took the jump and bought some replacements. £15 for 5 pairs. Steep, but im hoping they will last at least a couple of years. Guess its the price you pay for buying snazzy IEMs!

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 10
I hate gettin ripped off but, thinkin about it, I suppose it's pretty universal across many marketplaces to get ripped off on acessories and/or replacement parts, even down to automobile parts.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 10
don't the triple.fi10's come with comply foams now? I've got a pair, and I'm pretty sure they come with those.
Of course there are ways to put on shure olives, and I've found that the ue's use the same sized opening as most cheapo $3 iem's.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't the triple.fi10's come with comply foams now? I've got a pair, and I'm pretty sure they come with those.
Of course there are ways to put on shure olives, and I've found that the ue's use the same sized opening as most cheapo $3 iem's.

They do now, I believe, but I bought my set off another Head-fier back in August, I assume, a month or so before this package was released. I did mention the option of modding olives and I'm sure it's not too difficult or skill demanding, but it's still outrageous, IMO, how much UE's are charging for a replacement set of their silicones. But, to repeat myself, this is a a pretty braod practice in many markets, to sting customers on (replacement) parts and/or acessories.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 10
UE doesnt shipped triples with dual flanges anymore. Maybe low stock/demand.

"thats outrageous to charge 14 or 15 GBP for one set of silicones!"
A set of dual flange or whole set of tips? If former, THAT"S MADNESS but if it's latter, i will say it's a fair price.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE doesnt shipped triples with dual flanges anymore. Maybe low stock/demand.

"thats outrageous to charge 14 or 15 GBP for one set of silicones!"
A set of dual flange or whole set of tips? If former, THAT"S MADNESS but if it's latter, i will say it's a fair price.

Right, you're right, it's actually for a bag of 5 pairs, which is, conversely, a pretty good deal! Still, why I'd or any average customer would want 5 pairs is beyond me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, you're right, it's actually for a bag of 5 pairs, which is, conversely, a pretty good deal! Still, why I'd or any average customer would want 5 pairs is beyond me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I really wouldn't think that anyone would have any use, at all, for 5 pairs of silicone tips. They last for a very long time.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I really wouldn't think that anyone would have any use, at all, for 5 pairs of silicone tips. They last for a very long time.

Precisely. I'll get em at some point but for now, as I've got a heapful of pairs, I'm gona use the UE own brand foams (probably the most poor build quality tips I've come across but many pairs to fall back on so can take opportunity to see what these deliver sonically).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back