Lost noobie
Jan 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aimless1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sorry. I've been looking through the threads for the past couple of weeks and still can't figure out what suits me best at this time. I'm new to the whole DAP/MP3 thing, but have had my ER-6i's for a couple of years to use on my laptop while my wife watches Tv. Picked up a Cowon D2 and the ER-6i works well enough for indoor workouts. What I need now is something of equal or better quality while I workout outdoors.

So NO IEMs or closed cans. I'm thinking the dreaded ear buds will probably work best as I need to hear when traffic approaches or a neighbor wants to talk. Seems the Yuin PK3 and PK2 get decent press, and I guess I'm leaning toward the PK2 at this time. But I'm open to other suggestions. I see Sennheiser has an athletic headphone but I haven't really seen any reviews.

For workouts I listen to classic rock. Based on reviews, I'm questioning whether the Pk2 is really the better choice. I really don't want to carry something else like an amp.

Help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi. Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry 'bout your wallet! I would suggest a pair of Sennheiser PX100's. You can find plenty of supporters here on these pages and read about them over on the HeadRoom website (a Head-Fi sponsor). I use then - unamped - out of an iPod for working out and yardwork and cannot sing their praises enough. You can pick 'em up for ~ $50 at Circuit City or Sears, if there is one of those stores in your area. Good luck!

[size=xx-large]Yay, my 500th post![/size]

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for your input. Obviously there is strong support for the PX-100s and I can see the iGrados will also work as open cans. BUT I perspire heaviliy when I'm working out, and it looks to me like the foam covering is going to be a great sponge which means I'm going to end up having a wet sock feeling if wear open cans....or at least that's the way it appears to me. Or does the foam covering repel perspiration?

I am not married to the ear bud concept. But I have steered away from open cans because I do perspire (aka sweathog) so heavily. So I guess my question now would be is this an issue when working out? Or are they equally comfortable soaking wet? I have no bias for or against either Sennheiser or Grado, but I'm guessing the PX100s will have better bass response then the iGrados? If so, then for classic rock they would be the better choice....but I do like those long guitar rifts
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 10
As someone who also sweats a lot I'd stay away from any foam pads. But I've seen plenty of people use them so it must be a personal preference thing. A long time ago I'd use one of those Sony sport radio headset things on jogs and it had foam pads that turned nasty pretty fast. You can replace the pads at RadioShack but it was a pain for me.

I used to try and use ear buds while working in the yard when it's 95 degrees but I could never get them to stay still. It wasn't sweat but just the nature of how ear buds sit. I never use anything when jogging. I've almost been killed too many times to take away my sense of hearing. Shoot, I almost got crushed by a stinkin' hybrid once because the stupid thing went into electric mode and I didn't hear it coming!!

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never use anything when jogging. I've almost been killed too many times to take away my sense of hearing. Shoot, I almost got crushed by a stinkin' hybrid once because the stupid thing went into electric mode and I didn't hear it coming!!

Death by hybrid, that would really suck. Glad you're ok, though.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 10
IMO px100s are great if you are just walking about or on a computer or something, but I had hard time keeping them on tight when I was doing any jogging or working out

your best bet are probably some JVC marshmallows if you want isolation or some Yuin PK3 if you prefer the earbud type

Users who are viewing this thread

Back