Lost my Westone W4.. Replace with Westone W40, Phonak PFE 232, Noble 4 or something else?
May 16, 2015 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rav101

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

So I have been using the Westone W4 for a number of years now and absolutely loved them. Unfortunately, a few weeks back I seem to have lost them with no idea as to where or when. Having done a bit of a look around the forums for replacement options, I have found 3 potential options:

1) Westone W40: The closest thing to the new version of the W4 and W4r although it has more bass (which I would not be against). I have heard that people have however had issues with the housing breaking where the cable attaches rendering the unit unusable? Cost: £295 (Amazon)

2) Phonak Audeo PFE 232: Seems to be universally adored on the forums and all seem to see it as a suitable upgrade from the W4 / W4r. These seem to be older headphones that are not as readily available, however I can find one or two places in America that I could get it from. Cost: around £400 (Amazon America)

3) Noble 4: Seems to be placed in a similar light to the W4's and well received set of iems. Fairly large sound stage, a little more bass and better than the Heir Audio counterparts? £300 (Noble)

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on these iems and what peoples preferences would be. Are there any other iems I should be considering? My cost limit would be around £400 and my musical preference is mainly between RnB, Hip Hop and Rock but I will also listen to the likes of Michael Buble, Birdy, Sam Smith and other artists with similarly strong vocal performances.

Regards,

Ravi

May 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi guys?

Anyone able to offer insight or help?? Would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,

Ravi

I have not heard the Phonak or Noble, but I went from Westone 4R to Westone W60. For me the main difference was a slight increase in bass quality and quantity. The bass is not increased that much, but enough to make rhythm guitars and drums more present. For me, they could have increased it slightly more, but I guess many don`t want to much of the good stuff. The treble is also increased slightly. For me it was worth the upgrade. I have not had any problems with the housing, but I have a small crack in one of those replaceable color things you put on the outside. From reviews I previously wanted some JH Audio or Heir Audio, but since I liked the W4R I felt it was more safe to upgrade in the same brand. Too much bass can also be fatiguing over time. I listen to my W60 about 3 hours a day (3-4 albums) without any fatigue.

May 20, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 5

I have not heard the Phonak or Noble, but I went from Westone 4R to Westone W60. For me the main difference was a slight increase in bass quality and quantity. The bass is not increased that much, but enough to make rhythm guitars and drums more present. For me, they could have increased it slightly more, but I guess many don`t want to much of the good stuff. The treble is also increased slightly. For me it was worth the upgrade. I have not had any problems with the housing, but I have a small crack in one of those replaceable color things you put on the outside. From reviews I previously wanted some JH Audio or Heir Audio, but since I liked the W4R I felt it was more safe to upgrade in the same brand. Too much bass can also be fatiguing over time. I listen to my W60 about 3 hours a day (3-4 albums) without any fatigue.

Hi noobnorwegian,

Thanks for coming back to me. I presume the external design on the W series headphones (10 to 60) is all identical or close to identical? If you are not having problems on the W60 with the connector breaking then it might not be as big of an issue as I thought?

I would love to upgrade to the W60 but from what I can see, it is the best part of £650 which is quite a way of my budget :frowning2: I've heard very good things about the headphones though so will have to keep it and its successors in the 'one day' bucket!

Regards,

Ravi 

May 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 5

Hi noobnorwegian,

Thanks for coming back to me. I presume the external design on the W series headphones (10 to 60) is all identical or close to identical? If you are not having problems on the W60 with the connector breaking then it might not be as big of an issue as I thought?

I would love to upgrade to the W60 but from what I can see, it is the best part of £650 which is quite a way of my budget :frowning2: I've heard very good things about the headphones though so will have to keep it and its successors in the 'one day' bucket!

Regards,

Ravi 

From what I see the W40 looks just like the W60. They only have different color things to put on. My experience is only with one W60 (N = 1), so other may have different experience with cracks. I did not read about this problem before I bought mine. Based on reviews I only considered the W60 and W40. From reviews the difference from W40 to W60 is not huge, so . I bought my W60 from dwi-digital-cameras on ebay. It was a little cheaper when I bought it, but this may be to currency variations.  It`s now about 436 £. I see there I several W40 that are being sold at reasonable prices used. Many people only buys from authorized dealers, but I have checked if they are. They had good feedback on ebay, so I just went for it. If you also consider buying used I would try hifishark.com for searching. I often use that side when I am looking for hifi gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back