Lost my Shure E5's!
Nov 25, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

roggae

Head-Fier
so i somehow lost my ec5's. i received them as a gift. i really miss them. so i am looking to replace them, but thought it might be helpful to ask the forums for some advice. i really liked the sound i heard from the shures, but i am not married to them. honestly $500 is my limit and i would like to go lower. headphones would be used primarily during travel and with an ipod/laptop. what options do i have? are there any other inner ear headphones like the ec5's? it would be fantastic if i could find something of similar quality with a smaller profile as my pinna are small. any help is greatly appreciated!
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Shure E500s rock the house and are very comfy to boot.

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 25
If there was any way to throw in an extra 100.00 you could get custom UE-5c which was a huge improvement over the shure e5c. If you do not want to go custom or can not afford the extra 100.00 then I would say go with the e500 or get another pair of e5c or um2.

What did you like about the sound of the e5c?Ohh and what type of music do you listen to?

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by roggae /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there alternatives or is this pretty much it?

I would really recommend you try out the UM2s, E500s, Triple.fi 10 pros before making that decision. All three are very good headphones regardless, but they're all a tad different from each other.

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sry for the loss of ur iems!...the person who found them will be very happy

that is exactly how i look at it! looking at the ultimate ears, not sure if i can spend the dough for the perfect 10!!
580smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

that is exactly how i look at it! looking at the ultimate ears, not sure if i can spend the dough for the perfect 10!!
580smile.gif

Are you refering to the UE-10 pro? or just the ue customs all together? Each person is different in what they like and many of us would not like the ue-10 pro as they are not as fun sounding as the ue-5c. If you were refering to customs all together that is understandable and i go back to my first reccomendations of the e500, um2, or another pair of e5c. The super.fi 5eb has way too much base for my tastes but the super.fi 5 pro would also be a good reccomendation depending how you like to wear your IEM's and what type of music you like.

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you refering to the UE-10 pro? or just the ue customs all together? Each person is different in what they like and many of us would not like the ue-10 pro as they are not as fun sounding as the ue-5c. If you were refering to customs all together that is understandable and i go back to my first reccomendations of the e500, um2, or another pair of e5c. The super.fi 5eb has way too much base for my tastes but the super.fi 5 pro would also be a good reccomendation depending how you like to wear your IEM's and what type of music you like.

i listen to lossless audio FLACS of phish, dead, little feat, etc. the e5's hurt my pinna(outer ear) after a while. so changing style wont kill me. i dont think. thanks so much everyone!

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Well the um2 are about the same size as the e5c and the e500 are a little smaller than the e5c. The super.fi sit in your ear a tad different but the best sound i heard was with the mod UE reccomends but you run into the same problem with hurting your ear. True comfort is with customs. WHat part of the Pinna hurts by the e5c?

anatomy of auricle

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Well the um2 are about the same size as the e5c and the e500 are a little smaller than the e5c. The super.fi sit in your ear a tad different but the best sound i heard was with the mod UE reccomends but you run into the same problem with hurting your ear. True comfort is with customs. WHat part of the Pinna hurts by the e5c?

anatomy of auricle

scapoid fossa, helix, and antihelix. its not that bad. mainly after i take them out, it hurts. looking at these: Etymotic ER-4

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 25
er-4 will not have as much base as the e5c had but the highs will be much better. The design for the er4 should not hurt your ears as they go directly into the canal then hang out and down unlike the e5c which fill the whole conchae areas.

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

er-4 will not have as much base as the e5c had but the highs will be much better. The design for the er4 should not hurt your ears as they go directly into the canal then hang out and down unlike the e5c which fill the whole conchae areas.

i'm thinking i can get some really nice headphones for around 200? is this insane? i would rather spend the $$$ on the family...
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

i'm thinking i can get some really nice headphones for around 200? is this insane? i would rather spend the $$$ on the family...
600smile.gif

Not at all crazy. I would buy from someone that has a great return polocy like earphonesolutions.com incase you do not like the er4. You should also check out the Altec Lansing IM716. Earphonesolutions has the er4p for 179.00 or the super.fi 5 pro for 189.00. You could try one or the other and if you did not like them you could send them back and exchange them for the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back