Lost my ER4Ps... now what? ($200-300)
Apr 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm owning a pair of ER4 too.
But recently I got a pair of CK10 and I think it matched every requirements of yours.
Personally, I felt that CK10 is less flashy than the ER4, in a good way. But with better sonic qualities.
It's quite hard to find now (I'm traveling in Japan so its quite easy to find here)
But i think it's worth to look around for it :D

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
I'm owning a pair of ER4 too.
But recently I got a pair of CK10 and I think it matched every requirements of yours.
Personally, I felt that CK10 is less flashy than the ER4, in a good way. But with better sonic qualities.
It's quite hard to find now (I'm traveling in Japan so its quite easy to find here)
But i think it's worth to look around for it
biggrin.gif

The CK10s are basically discontinued, so that's a bummer. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
I think there are some of them left in some stores, as I got one from electronics shop in Japan.
or maye go look FS/WTB -..-
Another choice I could think of is Phonak PFEs..

I guess so... I see it in one shop in my country, but they are waaay too overpriced as compared to other places. Another choice could be the DBA-02MKIIs as well. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 25
Might I suggest this: Phonak Audeo PFE 112. Refer to Joker's multi-IEM review to see how he rates them. They are very well regarded here.

Earphonesolutions' Easter coupon code still works. It is "bunny20" for a 20% off. Comes out to be about $135 w/ free shipping. Earphone solutions is 100% legit, and one of the few Westone Authorized Dealers available. Alternatively, you can get the PFE 012s for about $40 cheaper. They are the same IEMs, but you miss out on the Comply tips, the ear guides, grey and black audio filters (they are interchangeable and fine tune the sound. The 012s come with a bass-heavy green filter), so in the end you get a more complete package that is going to cost you more if you buy them separate.

I have many IEMs with sound similar to ER4Ps ---- ER4-PT, CK10, UE700, Brainwavz B2, Phiaton PS200, and now the PFE 112. I'd say either UE700 or PFE 112 will fit your needs well. They are in the $110-$130 range, and both come with Comply foam tips. UE 700 is $140 on Amazon at the moment, so I'd wait for it to drop back down to $110-ish. If you need an IEM now, get the Phonak from earphone solutions.

I was not a fan of my CK10s. They used to cost $200. Now they are $300 and you have to import them from Japan. Plus they are discontinued. They may have legendary status but it is a terribly non-practical choice now.

Quote:
After a few months of searching bags, cars and everything around the house, I've finally given up hope of finding my beloved ER4Ps.

I've had a look around and it seems that they're no longer readily available? (besides a few HK Ebay listings)... I'm hoping that someone can give me some models I might want to consider based on what I loved about the Etys:

- Clear, detailed and accurate sound.  I heard sounds and details in tracks that I'd never heard until I bought them, and that are p**sing me right off because I am missing them in familiar songs when listening to them on my AT-M50s.  I like my warmth/bass, but my priority is accuracy, clarity and detail.

- Small/flush fit.  The profile and deep fit of the ER4s was perfect for wearing under a full-face motorcycle helmet, something that was a huge PITA with my old Shures.  I don't expect to find anything as good, since the market seems to favour bulkier round housings, but I'm looking for something that won't protrude from my ears too much.

- Black/Comply foam tips.  Long story short, I need something that has dense, reasonably durable earplug-style tips available.  The rubber mushrooms are ok, but they aren't nearly as good on the sound insulation and I can afford to replace them every so often.

So what should I be looking at?  It looks like some decent dual-driver models are within my reach, and hopefully should be a step up from my Etys?  I've been having a look at the Westone 2s, which are reported as having a reasonably balanced sound and are right in my price range.  Anything else I should violently consider?

Something else that I'd like to know is whether they're a popularly-faked 'phone, as I'll probably be going the ebay route and don't want to get caught out. Any known issues with HK sellers like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Westone-2-True-Fit-Dual-Drivers-In-Ear-Earphones-Headphones-Earbuds-MP3-MP4-/320869717402?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4ab553559a#ht_3721wt_1037

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 25
Vsonic GR-01. Same twin armature drivers as the ER4. They are as close to the Etys in terms of sound signature and accuracy as I've heard. Build is pretty good too. Only thing is, it may not fit as well under a helmet.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Vsonic GR-01. Same twin armature drivers as the ER4. They are as close to the Etys in terms of sound signature and accuracy as I've heard. Build is pretty good too. Only thing is, it may not fit as well under a helmet.

I doubt many will wear such expensive IEMs under a helmet (LOL)! 

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
So how do they fit inside the helmet?

The UM3Xs?  No idea - I live in Australia, so it'll probably be another week or two until they arrive.  I'll post up impressions coming from the ER4Ps (including helmet comfort) when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back