lost in translation
Dec 31, 2005 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
Ok this is the first romance type of movie that I actually enjoy watching. I don't know if it's the chemistry of bill murry and scarlett johansson(or maybe just scarlett...I think she's very attractive
biggrin.gif
) but I can't get enough of this film. It could also be that it's set in tokyo japan which is somewhere I am dying to visit some day. It's kind of weird movie because I never expected bill to be playing a part like this. Anyway, I just wanted to share my drunken thoughts on this movie.

BTW. At the very end of the movie when bill and scarlett say goodbye I'm pretty sure Bill says something like "When you start writing, always tell/say the truth. ok?". I'm almost positive the "always tell the truth." is in there. That whole part was ad-libed and the thing bill said was not in the script apparently but I think that's what he says to her.

Dec 31, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 40
What a movie. Seriously, I got the DVD for Christmas and I've been trying to stop myself from watching it too much. Its brilliant. I think it hits harder when you've always wanted to go to Japan.
wink.gif

Happy New Year

Dean

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 40
i had to see it three times in the theater to decide if i truly liked it or not, but i decided that i did, very much. if you check my "post pictures of your headphone rig" thread, you will see the bottom of a LiT poster hanging over my audio gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 40
It really is an excellent film. It does a tremendous job conveying the sense of loneliness felt by Scarlett's character. Tokyo is a very foreign city.

I've been to many places in Asia, and nowhere but Tokyo did I quite feel so alone. Strange to feel that way in a city of 12mm people.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 40
It was also the first "romance" movie I enjoyed, I liked the simple storyline in contrast with all the exhuberant love stories, and the atmosphere is hypnotysing (sp?).
Definitely one of my favourite movies now.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 40
I don't see it as a romance. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanssen behave much more like father and daughter throughout the movie than like lovers. She sees him as the attentive father she never had, and he sees her as being closer to him than he was to his own children as they were growing up.

That's why the ending scene works the way it does. Two lovers parting would have a far different dynamic. Since they both see each other as father/daughter, they understand the parting is very important so that they can go on to lead their own lives; she as an adult, and he growing into an old man, so there are no deep long lovers goodbyes.....

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
I don't see it as a romance. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanssen behave much more like father and daughter throughout the movie than like lovers. She sees him as the attentive father she never had, and he sees her as being closer to him than he was to his own children as they were growing up.

That's why the ending scene works the way it does. Two lovers parting would have a far different dynamic. Since they both see each other as father/daughter, they understand the parting is very important so that they can go on to lead their own lives; she as an adult, and he growing into an old man, so there are no deep long lovers goodbyes.....

I saw the movie in the theatre, and then I bought it about 2 months ago...anyway, I felt the same way. I saw it more as a father/daughter relationship...

Dec 31, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

I think you are right now that I think about it. Makes much more sense from that point of view.

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
I think it hits harder when you've always wanted to go to Japan.
wink.gif

Yeah, it hits even harder when you've lived as a foreigner in Japan.
biggrin.gif

I saw it in Shibuya with a close friend of mine and we agreed that it definitely said something that resonated about the experience. Tokyo really can be that kind of weird special place - I'll always get "natsukashii" thinking about it... so the movie was a nice little gift almost with Coppola sharing her experience with others.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 1, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 40
For those who have never been to Japan this movie can be misinterpreted.

Japan is fun and exciting; the Japanese are outgoing, "down to earth" - I spend a year there and never felt lonely. I miss it !

The hero has as much trouble communicating with his wife (by fax), with other europeans (the bar singer), as with Japanese. The heroin is also very distant from her husband and husband's crowd.

Japan is the context in which the difficulty to communicate verbally is emphasized.

Finally, most communication is non verbal - perhaps that is why the last words are not intelligible.

This movie reminds me of Antonioni movies - but it is more optimistic.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 40
I'm with gaijin. I always felt the flaws (I mean the emotional flaws of the characters, not flaws of the _movie_) in that movie lay with the characters and their inability to adjust to their situation, not with the situation or the city itself.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 40
The dialogue and some situations indicate that, even in their interactions with 'friends' and 'family', they have a hard time communicating. The strangeness of the city to them is merely a metaphor for the alienation that the characters feel from everyone.

If one were to do a Japanese version of LIT, it would be a good job to put a Japanese character in, say, Moscow, or New Delhi, anywhere where the character was quite obviously out of place. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back